Green Street
NEED TO KNOW
Don't forget to follow Ben on Twitter.
A WEEI.com Celtics Blog
WEEI.com Blog Network

West ‘doubtful’ for tonight vs. Celtics

10.27.09 at 12:58 pm ET
By   |   Comments

CLEVELAND  –  Cavaliers coach Mike Brown said Tuesday that troubled shooting guard Delonte West is ‘doubtful’ for tonight’s season opener against the Celtics after he got into an alleged domestic dispute with his newlywed wife over the weekend in Cleveland.

A Cleveland TV station first reported that the former Celtic and his wife got into an argument at their apartment prior to a domestic violence report being filed at Cleveland’s Hopkins Airport.

This latest troubling news comes just a month after he was arrested for carrying three loaded guns on his motorcycle.

“Right now, we have a support system for him off the floor,” said Brown, who is conferring with general manager Danny Ferry. “I’m just waiting for them to give the okay. When Danny [Ferry] tells me he can play, he’ll play.”

Read More: Cavs, Celtics, Delonte West,

Wyc: Davis suspension ‘very likely’

10.27.09 at 9:58 am ET
By   |   Comments

Celtics owner Wyc Grousbeck told Fox 25′s morning show Tuesday that a suspension of injured forward Glen Davis was “very likely” after Davis injured his right hand Sunday night, apparently in an fight with a former college teammate.

Davis showed up at Celtics practice on Monday but was sent for an exam that reportedly revealed a broken bone in his right hand. The team has yet to confirm the nature of the injury or the circumstances of the altercation that resulted in the injury.

Davis re-signed with the Celtics this summer on a two-year, $5 million deal.

Read More: Celtics, Glen Davis,

Celtics Season Preview: Index

10.27.09 at 2:50 am ET
By   |   Comments

WEEI.com Staff: 25 Questions Facing the Celtics and NBA in 2009-10

Flannery: Last Shot for the Big Three?

Camerato: No Longer Hunted, Celtics Begin Life as the Hunters

Nuggetpalooza: These Are Your Celtics

Flannery: Five Lessons From the Preseason

Green Street: Celtics, Rondo Still Remain $10 Million-$15 Million Apart

Flannery: What a Rondo Deal Would Mean

Green Street: Big Baby Breaks His Hand

Source: Rondo, Celts $10 million-$15 million apart

10.27.09 at 1:42 am ET
By   |   Comments

A source close to the situation has told Jeff Goodman of WEEI.com and FoxSports.com that the Celtics offered point guard Rajon Rondo a contract extension worth five years and $45 million, with Rondo’s representatives asking for between $55 million-$60 million over the same number of years. The Celtics presented their offer to Rondo’s reps in a meeting, Monday night. Rondo is eligible to become a restricted free agent at the end of the 2009-10 season.

For what a Rondo deal would mean for the Celtics, click here.

Report: Davis Suffers Broken Hand

10.26.09 at 8:38 pm ET
By   |   Comments

According to Comcast Sportsnet New England, Celtics forward Glen “Big Baby” Davis suffered a broken hand in a non-basketball related right thumb injury and is expected to miss 6-8 weeks. The injury reportedly occurred Sunday night when Davis was involved in an altercation with a former teammate.

“We are aware of Glen Davis’ injury,” the Celtics said in a statement. “We are gathering all information regarding the injury before making any further comments.”

Read More: broken hand, Glen Big Baby Davis,

What a Rondo deal would mean

10.26.09 at 7:48 pm ET
By   |   Comments

The general consensus last week was that Saturday’s deadline to extend players from the 2006 draft class would pass without the Celtics and Rajon Rondo coming to an agreement. Only three players from that class — Portland’s Brandon Roy and LaMarcus Aldridge and Toronto’s Andrea Bargnani — have signed agreements at this point.

Now it looks like their might be some movement. WEEI.com learned that the Celtics will offer Rondo a long-term deal and the two sides are expected to talk tonight. Of course “talking” and “signing” are two different things, but presumably the Celtics have an idea where Rondo and his agent, Bill Duffy, want to be on the numbers. Put it this way: There was no indication there would even be talks last week.

If the Celtics are successful in locking up Rondo it would set the franchise’s direction for the post Big 3 era. Although some fans had held out hope for some kind of major foray into the 2o10 free agent class, that scenario realistically went up in smoke when they signed Rasheed Wallace to a 3-year deal in the offseason. An extended Rondo and Kendrick Perkins would become the bridge to the next Celtics era.

Rondo has frustrated some with his style of play, but it’s worth remembering that he is a 23-year-old point guard (he won’t turn 24 until February) who in three years in the league has been the starting point guard on an NBA championship team, an All-Defense defender and probably should have been an All-Star last season. He also memorably averaged a triple double against rising star Derrick Rose in the first round of the playoffs.

Basketball Prospectus’ Kevin Pelton makes an interesting point. If the big stars of the 2010 free agent class decide to stay with their respective teams, what’s to stop one of those teams hoarding cap space from making a strong run at Rondo, even if he’s restricted? Say, the Knicks, who have a crying need for a run and gun point guard to handle Mike D’Antoni’s system. True, the Celtics could match but that would probably at an inflated price.

Of the members of the 2006 draft class who have signed extensions, only Roy got a so-called “max” deal. Yahoo’s Adrian Wojnowksi reported that Aldridge signed a deal in the $65-70 million range. Bargani got a few million less than that annually.

Whether Rondo signs an extension or not may come down to a question of value. Using the two Portland deals as a barometer is Rondo a “max” player that you build your franchise around like Roy, or an Aldridge player; i.e. a second star?

Read More: Rajon Rondo,

Celtics, Rondo Set to Talk Monday Night

10.26.09 at 6:11 pm ET
By   |   Comments

Rajon Rondo is set to talk with Celtics on Monday night regarding his contract, sources close to Rondo told WEEI.com. WEEI.com previously reported the Celtics are prepared to offer Rondo a long-term extension today to prevent him from becoming a restricted free agent at the end of the season.

Read More: Boston Celtics, Rajon Rondo,
2013 NBA Draft Board
2014 NBA Draft
Celtics Headlines
NBA Headlines