|10.31.08 at 8:28 pm ET|
After beating the Chicago Bulls by 16 points, the Celtics are departing tonight for a three-game road trip that will take them from Indiana to Houston to Okalahoma City. The general consensus is they have to bring 100% and then some since the home teams will be gunning for the defending world champs. Here is the postgame wrap up:
- Kevin Garnett and Derrick Rose each scored 18 points. Both shot 100% from the free throw line.
- Rose was impressive in his debut in Boston and showed fearlessness at the basket. After the game he said that while this match up was tough, it was good to get it under his belt this early in his rookie season.
- Joakim Noah grabbed a game-high 13 rebounds off the bench. KG and Kendrick Perkins each nabbed 10.
- Doc Rivers was happy with his team’s energy from the very start — “Great execution, great intensity. That was just perfect for us early on.”
- Garnett said he was more “poised” tonight than on Opening Night, saying he “put a lot of burden on [Pierce] and Ray the first game.”
- The Celtics biggest lead of the game was 28 points.
|10.31.08 at 7:39 pm ET|
It’s the moment Celtics fans have been waiting for …
Gino returned to the Jumbotron tonight.
KG waved his fist in the air as the Celtics eagerly looked up at the screen for their beloved dancer. Later he raised two hands, one shaking his sneaker over his head. Not sure if rookies J.R. Giddens and Bill Walker understood what the fuss was all about but when KG is actully loose during a game, you go with it.
|10.31.08 at 7:04 pm ET|
Near the end of the third quarter the PA announcer told the crowd Kevin Garnett, 32, is the youngest player to play 1,000 NBA Games. He has started in all but 37 of them.
The previous record was held by Shawn Kemp, who broke the mark in December of 2002. Paul Pierce was the first Celtic to stand up and cheer and KG received a standing O from the crowd.
|10.31.08 at 6:55 pm ET|
Fans are showing their creative side on Halloween at the Garden. Although there aren’t as many out in costume as I anticipated, those who did dress up have been hamming it up on the Jumbotron. There are the run-of-the-mill cowboys, scarecrows, and prisoners. There are also a few political impersonators. My vote for best costume was going to go to the Jackie Moon look-alike from “Semi Pro,” who sported an uncomfortably tight t-shirt and matching wig. But I changed my mind I saw the tribute to Gino in the balcony. Not only were they rocking the infamous shirt and beard, the also had the slow hip shimmy down to a science.
|10.31.08 at 6:17 pm ET|
At the half … Celtics 49, Bulls 31
- Kevin Garnett leads all scorers with 16 points. Derrick Rose leads the Bulls with 10.
- The Celtics outscored the Bulls 30-12 in the paint.
- The Celtics also outrebounded the Bulls 27-23. KG pulled down seven boards.
- Tyrus Thomas and Luol Deng shot a combined 2-for-17.
- Leon Powe scored seven points in seven minutes off the bench. Ben Gordon was scoreless in nearly 12 minutes as a reserve.
|10.31.08 at 6:04 pm ET|
Paul Pierce spent some quality time with the second unit tonight. The captain played alongside Eddie House, Tony Allen, Glen Davis, and Leon Powe for 3:30 in the second quarter. It was Powe, not Pierce, who led this unit with four points. They outscored the Bulls 7-6 and pushed the lead up to 31-19 before every starter but Ray Allen subbed back in with seven minutes left. Pierce had also been scrimmaging with the second unit in practice.
|10.31.08 at 5:48 pm ET|
Vinny Del Negro’s return to Boston is more than just a homecoming for the Springfield, Massachusetts native. Tonight the newly appointed head coach of the Chicago Bulls is going up against his former teammates in all levels of the Celtics organization.
“I played with Doc, I played with Danny, I played with Ray Allen,” Del Negro said before the game. “So to come back and see those guys is great. I’m just happy with their success last year and for all those guys.”
Here’s how it breaks down:
1988-90: Teammates with Danny Ainge on the Sacramento Kings
1994-96: Teammates with Doc Rivers on the San Antonio Spurs
1998-2000: Teammates with Ray Allen on the Milwaukee Bucks
- KG and Pierce look fine, C's fall to Nets 96 - 104
- 1st place Celtics take on Pierce, Garnett and the 4th place Nets
- Rondo: "I'm patient and I'm not going to rush"
- Boston Celtics Daily Links 12/10
- The Celtics and player development
- NBA trade market shifting as season progresses
- Boston Celtics Daily Links 12/9