The Sixers Just Got Rondo’d
|10.08.08 at 5:46 pm ET|
I was about to post about how the second half looked like it was going to be a long slog, and then… Rajon Rondo did his thing: An alley-oop for O’Bryant, and then a clean steal and a dunk with a fast-charging Sam Delambert trailing.
Interesting backstory to how the Celtics got Rondo in the draft. Danny Ainge liked the kid a lot, but the Celtics made their move earlier, getting Sebastian Telfair in the Randy Foye deal. Ah, memories.
At any rate, as the draft was unfolding and Rondo was still sitting there, Wyc Grousbeck told Danny, “You like Rondo so much, why don’t you go buy a draft pick.” Phoenix, which sells draft picks like girl scouts sell cookies, was willing at No. 21, but the C’s still had to hold their breath with the Knicks, who were picking at 20. The Knicks, of course, took the immortal Renaldo Balkman.
If you’re scoring at home, the Suns could have had Rondo, Luol Deng and Sergio Rodriguez, but they kept selling picks so they wouldn’t go over the cap. One of these days, Steve Nash is going to get mad about this: in that taciturn Canadian kind of way.
- Doc Rivers Triumphant in Return Against Boston Celtics: Highlights &...
- Doc Rivers Tears Up in Post Game Press Conference After His Los Angeles...
- Doc Rivers Moves On, Brad Stevens Pushes Forward - Torch Passed In Boston
- Doc has his day, C's fall to Clips 88-96
- Boston Celtics' Moving Tribute Video to Doc Rivers at TD Garden
- Doc Rivers On His Exit: 'I Didn't Like The Way It Played Out'
- Reunion week part 2 - Doc Rivers returns to the Garden with his Clippers...