Source: Red Sox close to deal sending Will Middlebrooks to Padres for Ryan Hanigan
|12.19.14 at 11:24 am ET|
The deal appears to be contingent on Middlebrooks passing a physical with San Diego. The 26-year-old recently said that he is still recovering from a wrist injury, although he didn’t view the ailment as an issue heading into 2015.
“I want to stay in Boston; I want to play in Boston,” Middlebooks said a few weeks ago at David Ortiz‘s charity golf event. “I came up here, and I know it’s pretty rare for someone to stay in one place their whole career. I understand that. But I’m still going to try. I don’t really fit the mix right now. It doesn’t seem that there’s a place for me now. But it’s a long time until April and a lot of things can happen.”
After the Red Sox signed Pablo Sandoval, there wasn’t a full-time spot on the roster for the third baseman. Battling injuries the past two seasons Middlebrooks has batted .213 with 19 homers, 168 strikeouts and a .265 on-base percentage since the start of 2013.
“It’s not enjoyable to be replaced,” he added. “But like I said, I understand. I’m trying to look at the big picture for the organization, but selfishly I say, ‘What about me? What’s going to happen with me?’ I’m curious to see what’s going to happen.”
The Red Sox have previously expressed interested in Hanigan (an Andover native), targeting the 34-year-old right-handed hitter to back up Christian Vazquez. Hanigan, who played with Tampa Bay last season after spending his previous seven big league seasons with the Reds, was traded to San Diego earlier this week.
Hanigan played in 84 games with the Rays, hitting .218 with five home runs. His career-high in games played came in ’12, totaling 112 appearances. He carries a career .256 batting average and .694 OPS.
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Unexpected Trades Red Sox Could Pull Off This Offseason
- Dream Free-Agent Pickups for Red Sox
- Red Sox Free Agency News and Trade Rumors
- Should Red Sox Trade Cespedes This Offseason?
- Red Sox's Most Tradeable Assets for Offseason
- Uehara Inks 2-Year Extension with Sox
- Possible Trade Partners, Packages for Cespedes
- Aaron Kurcz dealt to Atlanta for Anthony Varvaro
- Offseason Notes: Trades, signings, and awards
- Marco Hernandez received from Cubs to complete Doubront trade
- Podcast Ep. 69: Hot Stove on High
- Fall/Winter League Roundup: Castillo/Vazquez headline action in Puerto Rico
- Trade analysis: Scouting the players in the Wade Miley deal
- Sox acquire Zeke Spruill for Myles Smith in second D-Backs trade
- Justin Masterson: An unlikely All-Star reunites with the Red Sox
- Trade analysis: Scouting the prospects dealt for Porcello
- Astros select Jason Garcia in Rule 5 draft, trade him to Orioles