Celtics Assign Giddens to D-League
|11.15.08 at 11:35 am ET|
In a move that seemed inevitable, the Boston Celtics assigned rookie J.R. Giddens to their NBA Development League affiliate Utah Flash on Saturday.
The Celtics selected Giddens out of New Mexico with the 30th overall pick in this year’s draft. That night Celtics president Danny Ainge and head coach Doc Rivers praised his athleticism and defensive intensity.
However only 12 players can suit up every night and there have been minimal opportunities for Giddens. He averaged 2.0 points and 1.5 rebounds in 7.5 minutes during preseason play but has been on the inactive list the entire season.
The Celtics demanding schedule has not allowed Giddens to get in quality practice time.
“We haven’t had any really so it’s really tough,” Rivers said before Friday’s game against the Denver Nuggets. “It’s tough for all those guys right now.”
Giddens is the Celtics first assignment to the D-League this season.
- KG and Pierce look fine, C's fall to Nets 96 - 104
- 1st place Celtics take on Pierce, Garnett and the 4th place Nets
- Rondo: "I'm patient and I'm not going to rush"
- Boston Celtics Daily Links 12/10
- The Celtics and player development
- NBA trade market shifting as season progresses
- Boston Celtics Daily Links 12/9