Allen Discusses Son’s Diagnosis
|11.16.08 at 10:42 pm ET|
Ray Allen’s life changed last June, and it had nothing to do with winning his first NBA Championship. His infant son Walker was diagnosed with Type 1 Diabetes during the NBA Finals, a storyline of personal anguish which was highlighted during the Boston Celtics title run.
Five months later, winning the championship may be in the past but the Allen family’s struggle is still very present. Allen and his wife Shannon sat down with WCVB Boston to discuss the daily ups and downs of raising a child with diabetes.
‘Being on this world stage, we said, ‘Why is this happening? Wow, God works in mysterious ways,’’ said Allen. ‘It’s like, he put this on our plate at this point in time in my life. He’s giving me this mantle to step up and be somewhat of a flagship for this disease and making sure other families understand and know what they’re going through, make sure kids aren’t misdiagnosed, make sure no child has to die because they are misdiagnosed.”
To watch the complete interview, click here.
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Why Celtics Will Be Better Than Expected in 2014-15
- Should Celtics Fans Buy or Sell Rondo's Hot Start?
- Lessons Learned from Celtics so Far
- Why Green Will Finally Succeed in Boston
- C's Big Offense Showing a Sign of Things to Come?
- Green's Transition to PF Could Reshape NBA Career Arc
- Could Rondo's Play Increase the Chances He's Dealt?