- Green Street - http://greenstreet.weei.com -
Celtics-Blazers Game Blog: Third Quarter
Posted By Paul Flannery On December 5, 2008 @ 7:28 pm In General | 1 Comment
A couple of thoughts on the first half. Portland zoned up a few times, which is something the Blazers are known for. The results were not all that successful. First, they failed to identify Eddie House  as a shooter and he buried a wide-open jumper. Then they gave up an easy dunk by Leon Powe , which is exactly what a zone is supposed to prevent. On top of that the Blazers got nailed with two Defensive 3 Seconds technicals for their trouble.
Seven minutes, four points, two rebounds, two fouls and one technical for Greg Oden , which is vaguely disappointing for those of us who want to see what the kid can do. The Blazers were 6-for-19 in the second quarter and 0-for-5 from 3-point range. They’re one of the better shooting teams in the league, so don’t expect that to continue.
Very workmanlike effort from the C’s. Everyone’s contributing, the defense has been sound, etc. What will the second half have in store? Let’s find out…
– THIRD QUARTER WRAP: If you thought the Celtics  were good defensively in the second quarter… The Blazers were 5-for-17 in the quarter, which makes them 11-for-36 since the first quarter. What genius said Portland would shoot the ball better this half?
Three words come to mind so far: Total. Freaking. Domination. Have to say I’m a bit disappointed by Portland. Thought I’d see more.
Not much else to say. The Celtics are playing very, very good basketball right now.
– That’s three fouls on Oden. Count Doc Rivers  among his fan club: “He’s going to be a dominant player in this league,” Doc said. “Sooner than people think.” The learning curve will be steep, however, and tonight looks like one of those nights.
– You have to be impressed with the Celtics right now. They are systematically taking Portland apart. There will probably be a run here at some point, but the Celtics are just methodical.
– According to Channing Frye : “The Celtics irritate everybody ,” which is almost certainly true, but few teams have talked about it the way the Blazers did. Apparently, KG trash-talked everybody but owner Paul Allen last year. Frye went on to say:
“It was like being at a club and being with baddest chick in there,” Frye said. “Then you turn your head and she’s gone. It’s like, ‘Dang, I should have had that!”
Coulda, woulda, shoulda Channing, but I feel ya dawg.
– Five fouls on Oden, and now he’s getting the “Ohhhh-den” treatment. Welcome to the Hub, kid.
– The fouls are 19-10 in favor of Boston right now, and the free throws are 24-9, and yet some fans are still getting on the refs. There’s just no pleasing some people, I guess.
–Those of us in the Garden just witnessed without question the worst dance off ever. Where oh where is Soulja Boy Jr when you need him?
– That’s the third traveling call on the Blazers tonight, at least–feels like I missed one, maybe. That’s kind of amazing.
Article printed from Green Street: http://greenstreet.weei.com
URL to article: http://greenstreet.weei.com/sports/boston/basketball/celtics/2008/12/05/celtics-blazers-game-blog-third-quarter/
URLs in this post:
 Eddie House: http://media.weei.com/basketball/eddie-house.htm
 Leon Powe: http://media.weei.com/basketball/leon-powe.htm
 Greg Oden: http://media.weei.com/basketball/greg-oden.htm
 Celtics: http://media.weei.com/basketball/boston-celtics.htm
 Doc Rivers: http://media.weei.com/basketball/doc-rivers.htm
 Channing Frye: http://media.weei.com/basketball/channing-frye.htm
 The Celtics irritate everybody: http://blog.oregonlive.com/behindblazersbeat/2008/12/blazers_hungry_for_payback_aga.html
 Steve Blake: http://media.weei.com/basketball/steve-blake.htm
 Rajon Rondo: http://media.weei.com/basketball/rajon-rondo.htm
 Ray Allen: http://media.weei.com/basketball/ray-allen-celtics.htm
 is smooth: http://blogs.weei.com/paulflannery/2008/12/03/mr-smooth/
 > Celtics-Blazers Game Blog: Third Quarter" data-url="http://greenstreet.weei.com/sports/boston/basketball/celtics/2008/12/05/celtics-blazers-game-blog-third-quarter/">Tweet: http://twitter.com/share
 : #disqus_thread
Copyright © 2014 WEEI.com. All rights reserved.