This Week in Celtic History
|12.16.08 at 10:53 pm ET|
This week the Boston Celtics tied the NBA record for best start through 25 games. The mark was reached during a week rich with Celtics history:
December 17, 1996
Red Auerbach was named one of the Top Ten Coaches in NBA History as part of the league’s 50th anniversary season. Auberach was honored with Chuck Daly, Bill Fitch, Red Holzman, Phil Jackson, John Kundla, Don Nelson, Jack Ramsay, Pat Riley and Lenny Wilkens.
December 19, 1956
Bill Russell signed his first contract with the Boston Celtics. It was a one-year deal worth $19,5000.
December 22, 1949
Boston Celtic Tony Lavelli showed off his accordion skills during halftime of the Celtics-Minneapolis Lakers game. The NBA paid Lavelli $125 per performance to entertain crowds at more than 20 games around the league.
December 22, 1956
Bill Russell made his debut as a Celtic in the Boston Garden. He posted six points and 16 rebonds in the Celtics 95-93 victory over the St. Louis Hawks.
December 22, 1962
The 1,000,000th NBA point was scored during one of three games, including the Boston Celtics-New York Knicks match up.
Also on this date …
The Boston Celtics will take on the Atlanta Hawks on Wednesday, 12 years to the day after the Hawks set an NBA record for three-point field goals. They hit 19 treys, which has since been topped, in a convincing win over the Dallas Mavericks.
- Celtics visit Knicks looking for 3rd straight win
- State of the Celtics: Can Jeff Green be a top two player on a contending...
- Boston Celtics Daily Links 12/7
- State of the Celtics: Is this team too talented to get a high draft pick?
- Should the Boston Celtics Still be Tanking?
- Kris Humphries Seizing the Moment, Leads Boston Celtics past Denver...
- Despite a scare, Jordan Crawford and the Celtics beat the Nuggets, 106-98