Celtics-Suns Game Blog: Second Quarter
|01.19.09 at 8:34 pm ET|
The second quarter gets under way with highlight’s from Lucky the Leprechaun’s guest appearance on Late Night with Conan O’Brien. He got to the basket easier than the Phoenix Suns, who scored just 15 points in the first 12 minutes.
– Notable number: the Suns committed nine turnovers in the first quarter. They averaged 16 per game this season.
– At the first timeout the Celtics have pushed the lead up to 40-19. The Suns are up to 11 TOs.
– Before the game Big Baby dropped by the Suns locker room to visit Shaq. The big man was on his cell phone on the trainer’s table so Davis decided not to interrupt. All of his consideration was forgotten on the court when he drained a J over Shaq. Big Fella has the size, but Big Baby has the jumper. (Ok so it’s a work in progress … he airballed the next attempt.)
– Tonight’s Heroes Among Us Award was presented to 1968 Olympic gold medalist Tommie Smith and Charlene Carlos, the wife of 1968 Olympic bronze medalist John Carlos. Smith and Carlos raised black-gloved fists during their medal ceremony as a peaceful protest, which serves as an iconic moment in the civil rights movement.
– If you thought Scal and Shaq was a mismatch, imagine what happened after Louis Amundson tried to stop KG. Let’s just say Shaq had a few words for Amundson at the next whistle.
– Turnover count: 14 for the Suns.
– The Suns surpassed the Celtics first quarter total with a minute to go in the half.
– At the end of the first half … Celtics 64, Suns 34
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Austin Ainge Offers Window to C's Pre-Draft Process
- Trade Possibilities for C's with Draft Approaching
- Latest Buzz Surrounding Jamal Crawford, Kristaps Porzingis, Celtics'...
- Latest NBA Trade Rumors, Buzz
- Ranking Celtics' Biggest NBA Draft Needs
- Buzz Surrounding Ty Lawson, Celtics Draft Plans and More
- Realistic Targets for Celtics to Chase During Offseason