Celtics-TWolves Game Blog: Second Quarter
|02.01.09 at 12:48 pm ET|
FIRST HALF WRAP: One player is not enough to beat the Celtics. Perhaps the Timberwolves will realize that down 18 points at halftime. Al Jefferson leads all scorers with 16 points and while he is having a standout game, his teammates aren’t doing much to help. (Sebastian Telfair has 8, Ryan Gomes has 6). I’m looking for more out of rookie Kevin Love (0 points, 3 rebounds) in the second half. Meanwhile the Celtics are leading a balanced attack without KG. Pierce and the Allens have combined for 41 points. Perkins has added eight points and seven boards. The Timberwolves have their work cut out for them in the next 24 minutes.
Second Quarter Observations:
For Paul’s first quarter recap, click here.
– Patrick O’Bryant is getting some early play at the start of the second quarter.
– Tony Allen is showing no lingering signs of his ankle injury. He’s back to the old TA this afternoon, driving hard to the basket.
– Paul Pierce heads to the bench with a game-high four assists.
– Cue the highlight reel. Eddie House drained his first three of the game, prompting a T’Wolves timeout and a collection of his treys on the Jumobtron set to Stevie Ray Vaughan’s “The House Is Rockin.'”
– Even with Al Jefferson on the court, the Timberwolves are not attacking the hoop. They have scored just two points in the paint in the first six minutes of the second quarter. Big Al can’t do it all on his own, and as a result he ends up snubbed for the All-Star Game because of his supporting cast.
– Ryan Gomes vs. Paul Pierce: This is a match up Gomes was excited for. This week he told WEEI.com, “It was always a challenge to guard him in practice and it’s a challenge now. He was MVP of the Finals and everyone knows his game. He can score and put the ball in the basket, he’s the kind of guy who can make his team go. Everyone’s playing well for him. But I have to defend him also so it’s going to be a good challenge because when I was in college I tried to model my game after him a little bit, so it’s always good to play against one of the best players in the NBA at the small forward position.”
– “Where best fans in the world happens” – the Celtics made their own tribute to the Boston faithful with a take on the “Where amazing happens” videos.
– Sebastian Telfair has been impressive in the first half. He has a lot more control over his game than he did with the Celtics and he’s making smart choices with the ball.
– At the half … Celtics 62, Timberwolves 44
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Isaiah Thomas to Play vs. Wizards After Missing 2 Games with Knee Injury
- Ray Allen Not Invited to Rajon Rondo's NBA Title Celebration After...
- Isaiah Thomas Will Miss Next 2 Games for Celtics with Knee Injury
- Al Horford, Avery Bradley Out vs. Suns with Elbow, Hamstring Injuries
- Avery Bradley Returns from Achilles Injury for Celtics vs. Hawks
- Isaiah Thomas Criticizes DeMarre Carroll for Flagrant Foul in Celtics vs...