Celtics-Spurs Game Blog: Second Quarter
|02.08.09 at 1:37 pm ET|
FIRST HALF NOTES AND NUMBERS: Spurs 60, Celtics 52
- Leading Scorers: Bonner/Duncan: 16 points
- Leading Rebounder: Duncan: 7
- Leading Assists: Rondo: 7
- Points in the Paint: Celtics 32 – Spurs 24
- Fast Break Points: Celtics 8 – Spurs 4
- Free Throws: Spurs: 7/7 – Celtics 5/8
- Minutes: Pierce/Rondo/Duncan: 19
At the start of the quarter … Celtics 23, Spurs 22
For Paul’s first quarter recap, click here.
Second Quarter Observations
- On the court at the start of the 2nd … Celtics: Powe/Davis/T. Allen/R. Allen/House … Spurs: Hill/Finley/Bonner/Ginobili/Thomas
- Ray Allen has the hot hand for the Celtics this afternoon, scoring 12 points (5/8 FG) in the first 16 minutes.
- Even with Tim Duncan on the court, the Celtics are outscoring the Spurs 22-10 in the paint.
- There always seems to be a fan favorite red head at the Garden. With Brian Scalabrine out (concussion), New Hampshire native Matt Bonner is getting the cheers today. He is the game’s leading scorer with 13 points. Scal is in the building but is not watching the game on the sidelines.
- The controversial calls continue at the Garden. Perkins was whistled for a foul late in the second against Tim Duncan. The boos from the fans rivaled the jeers from Thursday’s game against the Lakers. Perkins doesn’t get much love around the league, either. He tied for first in the Sports Illustrated Player Poll: Which NBA player thinks he’s a lot better than he really is?
- At halftime … Spurs 60, Celtics 52