Who is Mikki Moore?
|02.24.09 at 7:31 pm ET|
On Tuesday the Boston Celtics signed free agent big man Mikki Moore. In just a matter of days since being waived by the Sacramento Kings, he had become one of the hottest players on the market. But it wasn’t that long ago that Moore was known for being a journeyman rather than a contributor on a championship-defending team. So who is Mikki Moore?
Full name: Clinton Renard Moore
Born: November 4, 1975
Hometown: Orangeburg, South Carolina
High School: Blacksburg HS, Blacksburg, SC
(Fast Fact: Celtics guard Ray Allen attended Hillcrest HS in Dalzell, SC. Moore and Allen are two of six players currently in the NBA to attend high school in that state.)
College: University of Nebraska (1997)
What’s in a name? The nickname Mikki (pronounced ‘Mikey’) was given to Moore as a kid because he liked to eat Life cereal. He also goes by “Snake” for his love of reptiles.
(Fast fact: Former Celtic James Posey goes by the nickname ‘Mike’ to his friends and family)
He looks familiar: Moore signed a 10-day contract with the Celtics in 2003. He picked up six fouls in three games, but never scored a basket.
League leader: In 2007, Moore led the league in field goal percentage (.609). The following season he led the league in personal fouls (310).
(Fast fact: Former Celtics center Robert Parish was called for 310 fouls in the 1981 season. He only ranked 10th in the NBA.)
Lucky # 7: Moore will be the first player to wear number seven since Al Jefferson. Tom Gugliotta wore it prior to Big Al in 2005.
Lending a helping hand: Moore’s goal is to touch every community he plays in. He founded the Moore Love Foundation in his home state of South Carolina and bussed 600 children to a Charlotte Bobcats game. As a member of the Detroit Pistons, Moore helped knock down and rebuild homes in drug-infested neighborhoods. He also distributed Thanksgiving turkeys with the Utah Jazz, among other initiatives.
Moore’s Road (Back) to Boston
- June, 1997: Undrafted in NBA Draft
- September 30, 1997: Signed as a free agent by the Minnesota Timberwolves
- October 28, 1997: Waived by the Minnesota Timberwolves
- 1998-99: Played nine games for Papagou of the Greek League
- 1998-99: Played remainder of the season for the Fort Wayne Fury of the Continental Basketball Association
- January 21, 1999: Signed as a free agent by the Minnesota Timberwolves
- January 27, 1999: Waived by the Minnesota Timberwolves
- January 29, 1999: Signed as a free agent by the Detroit Pistons
- February 18, 1999: Waived by the Detroit Pistons
- October 5, 1999: Signed as a free agent by the Detroit Pistons
- August 5, 2002: Waived by the Detroit Pistons
- October 3, 2002: Signed as a free agent by the San Antonio Spurs
- October 24, 2002: Waived by the San Antonio Spurs
- 2002-03, 2003-04: Played for the Roanoke Dazzle of the NBA Development League
- January 6, 2003: Signed by the Boston Celtics to a 10-day contract
- April 14, 2003: Signed by the Atlanta Hawks for the remainder of the season
- September 27, 2003: Signed as a free agent by the Seattle SuperSonics
- October 21, 2003: Waived by the Seattle SuperSonics
- December 22, 2003: Signed as a free agent by the New Jersey Nets
- January 7, 2004: Waived by the New Jersey Nets
- January 28, 2004: Signed by the Utah Jazz to the first of two consecutive 10-day contracts
- March 4, 2004: Signed by the Utah Jazz for the remainder of the season
- August 20, 2004: Signed as a free agent by the Los Angeles Clippers
- August 31, 2005: Signed as a free agent by the Seattle SuperSonics
- July 7, 2006: Traded by the Seattle SuperSonics to the New Jersey Nets in exchange for a second-round pick in the 2009 NBA Draft
- July 13, 2007: Signed as a free agent by the Sacramento Kings
- February 19, 2009: Waived by Sacramento Kings
- February 24, 2009: Signed as a free agent by the Boston Celtics
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Isaiah Thomas to Play vs. Wizards After Missing 2 Games with Knee Injury
- Ray Allen Not Invited to Rajon Rondo's NBA Title Celebration After...
- Isaiah Thomas Will Miss Next 2 Games for Celtics with Knee Injury
- Al Horford, Avery Bradley Out vs. Suns with Elbow, Hamstring Injuries
- Avery Bradley Returns from Achilles Injury for Celtics vs. Hawks
- Isaiah Thomas Criticizes DeMarre Carroll for Flagrant Foul in Celtics vs...