Celtics ranked best pro sports team
|03.06.09 at 9:50 am ET|
The Boston Celtics were ranked most successful professional sports team in 2008 by a new bizjournals study. The Detroit Lions were named the least successful.
A total of 122 organizations in the NBA, NFL, MLB, and NHL were compared on two criteria: games won and money made. Bizjournals reports that in addition to winning the NBA championship and earning a league-high winning percentage during the regular season (.791), the Celtics sold out every home game and saw a 14% increase in franchise value in 2008.
5 Best Sports Organizations in 2008:
1. Boston Celtics (NBA)
2. New York Giants (NFL)
3. Los Angeles Lakers (NBA)
4. Montreal Canadiens (NHL)
5. Boston Red Sox (MLB)
5 Worst Sports Organizations in 2008:
122. Detroit Lions (NFL)
121. New York Islanders (NHL)
120. Memphis Grizzlies (NBA)
119. Atlanta Thrashers (NHL)
118. Pittsburgh Pirates (MLB)
5 Best NBA Organizations in 2008: overall ranking in parentheses
1. Boston Celtics (1)
2. Los Angeles Lakers (3)
3. Detroit Pistons (6)
4. Utah Jazz (11)
5. Cleveland Cavaliers (15)
5 Worst NBA Organizations in 2008: overall ranking in parentheses
30. Oklahoma City Thunder/Seattle SuperSonics (108)
29. Sacramento Kings (109)
28. Indiana Pacers (112)
27. Minnesota Timberwolves (117)
26. Memphis Grizzlies (120)
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Why Rondo Is Perfect Fit for Stevens' Offense
- Should Boston Celtics Strike Now on a Jeff Green Trade?
- C's 'Rising Stars' Legit Building Blocks?
- Will Rondo's Resurgence Force C's to Consider Trade?
- The Deadline Deal Celtics Must Make
- Latest Celtics Trade Rumors, Updates
- Teams That Should Be Asking About Humphries