Powe expects to practice Monday
|04.10.09 at 7:07 pm ET|
Leon Powe hasn’t played since spraining his knee on St. Patrick’s Day. He expects to return to practice on Monday, and he doesn’t want his teammates to go easy on him either.
‘Oh no, no, no. I wouldn’t even practice. I wouldn’t even come to practice,’ he said with a laugh prior to the Boston Celtics‘ game against the Miami Heat. ‘No, don’t go easy on me. I want to go in there full speed. You’ve got to go at me so I can test it out.’
Powe is making so much progress, in fact, that he said he is ‘very much ahead of schedule.’ He completed a 30-minute workout with assistant coach Clifford Ray on Friday, focusing on his legs with sliding, cutting, jumping, and post move drills.
But team doctors are still proceeding with caution. They have asked him to wear a brace as a preventative measure to avoid other players banging into his knee. Powe doesn’t like it ‘ taking it on and off is the worst part, he says ‘ but he knows it’s part of the recovery.
Head coach Doc Rivers still does not expect Powe to play before the playoffs.
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Austin Ainge Offers Window to C's Pre-Draft Process
- Trade Possibilities for C's with Draft Approaching
- Latest Buzz Surrounding Jamal Crawford, Kristaps Porzingis, Celtics'...
- Latest NBA Trade Rumors, Buzz
- Ranking Celtics' Biggest NBA Draft Needs
- Buzz Surrounding Ty Lawson, Celtics Draft Plans and More
- Realistic Targets for Celtics to Chase During Offseason