First quarter update
|04.20.09 at 7:41 pm ET|
What’s best strategy against a team that presses? You press them back. Similarly, it was clear from the opening seconds that the Celtics wanted to run against a team that runs. Rajon Rondo was sensational in the first quarter with nine points, four rebounds, six assists and a combined five fouls against Derrick Rose and Kirk Hinrich. The Bulls blocked seven shots in the first quarter, but that’s a fine trade-off for taking the ball to the basket aggressively as the Celtics have done time and again.
The biggest beneficiary has been Big Baby Davis who scored 12 points on 6-of-10 shooting, with most of them coming on kickout jumpers off dribble penetration. The C’s also wanted to be tougher defensively and Kendrick Perkins set the tone with a hard foul on John Salmons three minutes into the game.
The only downside for the C’s is that Ray Allen is 0-for-2 and appears tentative early. After one, it’s 35-29 Celtics.
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Isaiah Thomas to Play vs. Wizards After Missing 2 Games with Knee Injury
- Ray Allen Not Invited to Rajon Rondo's NBA Title Celebration After...
- Isaiah Thomas Will Miss Next 2 Games for Celtics with Knee Injury
- Al Horford, Avery Bradley Out vs. Suns with Elbow, Hamstring Injuries
- Avery Bradley Returns from Achilles Injury for Celtics vs. Hawks
- Isaiah Thomas Criticizes DeMarre Carroll for Flagrant Foul in Celtics vs...