Dwight Howard suspended
|04.29.09 at 4:12 pm ET|
In a move that has some impact on the Celtics, the NBA suspended Orlando center Dwight Howard for throwing an elbow at Philadelphia’s Sam Delambert during Game 5 of their playoff series Tuesday night.
Howard was assigned a simple technical foul on the play and the Magic went on to win the game behind a monster effort from young Dwight–24 points and 24 rebounds. They now lead the series, 3-2. Game 6 is scheduled for Thursday night in Philly and the winner of the series gets the survivor of the Celtics-Bulls in the conference semifinals.
Delambert wasn’t the only victim of Howard’s wayward elbows. Magic rookie guard Courtney Lee also caught one in the chops and is also out of Game 6 with a fractured sinus. (Wasn’t everyone worried that Howard was too nice for the playoffs?)
Obviously the Celtics have their hands full and aren’t looking ahead to anything–except maybe for some Chicago deep dish–but it doesn’t hurt their long-term prospects if Orlando and Philly have to go the seven-game route. Also, if the Celtics are able to close out Chicago Thursday night, and Philly and Orlando go seven games, that would afford the C’s some much-needed rest.
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Why Celtics Will Be Better Than Expected in 2014-15
- Should Celtics Fans Buy or Sell Rondo's Hot Start?
- Lessons Learned from Celtics so Far
- Why Green Will Finally Succeed in Boston
- C's Big Offense Showing a Sign of Things to Come?
- Green's Transition to PF Could Reshape NBA Career Arc
- Could Rondo's Play Increase the Chances He's Dealt?