After one at the Garden, the Celtics have a 23-21 lead. Paul Pierce is the leading scorer with seven points, but it’s been the Kendrick Perkins show so far. Perkins has four points, seven rebounds and has made numerous great rotations to blow up would-be Bulls dunks and layups.
Chicago is shooting just 30 percent from the floor and if not for Ben Gordon (who does not look like his injured hamstring is giving him any trouble) and Kirk Hinrich hitting a couple of contested 3-pointers, they’d be shooting a whole lot worse.
A couple of other observations:
– After so much talk about the officials, they have not been a factor so far. Perkins did not pick up a foul and there were only six personals handed out in the first 12 minutes.
– In the moments before tipoff Kevin Garnett was engaged in some heated trash talk with the Bulls bench. It was a good show, if nothing else.
– Both teams turned the ball over four times. Play was ragged at times and one wonders if the series has already exacted a toll both mentally and physically.
– The C’s tried to get Pierce off early and while those attempts failed he did manage find his offense.
– Stephon Marbury and Brian Scalabrine both checked into the game at the end of the quarter. Scal received a big ovation as it’s his first game back in Boston since his head injuries. Those two in particular are going to have to give the Celtics quality minutes.