Game 1: Early update
|05.04.09 at 8:18 pm ET|
Like a couple of boxers, both teams came out a little gingerly, trying to size each other up. Two things have stood out so far.
First, the Celtics are not going to double Dwight Howard in the post when Kendrick Perkins is on him. That doesn’t allow the Magic’s perimeter shooters to get open looks off the double team, and simply reinforces how important it is for Perkins to stay out of foul trouble. Perk picked up a loose ball foul when he was a little too aggressive and knocked Rashard Lewis down.
Second, the Celtics are going right at Howard. Big Baby Davis, Perkins and even Ray Allen have taken it hard to the basket. Ray got his shot swatted into the third row for his troubles, but don’t look for the C’s to stop going at him. Howard picked up a charge 45 seconds into the game (Big Baby took it) and the Celtics would love to get him into foul trouble.
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Why Celtics Will Be Better Than Expected in 2014-15
- Should Celtics Fans Buy or Sell Rondo's Hot Start?
- Lessons Learned from Celtics so Far
- Why Green Will Finally Succeed in Boston
- C's Big Offense Showing a Sign of Things to Come?
- Green's Transition to PF Could Reshape NBA Career Arc
- Could Rondo's Play Increase the Chances He's Dealt?