|Celtics named Professional Sports Team of the Year||05.28.09 at 10:00 pm ET|
The Boston Celtics were honored as the 2009 Professional Sports Team of the Year as part of the Sports Business Awards programs on Thursday in Manhattan. The awards, presented by Street & Smith’s SportsBusiness Journal and SportsBusiness Daily, recognize excellence and outstanding achievement in the sports industry for 2008.
The Celtics were in running for the Professional Sports Team of the Year award against the Chicago Blackhawks, Cleveland Cavaliers, Milwaukee Brewers and Tampa Bay Rays. In addition to winning the 2008 NBA Championship, the Celtics set an attendance record after playing to 100 percent capacity and doubled its full-season ticketholders to more than 10,000.
Winners from 16 categories included:
- Lifetime Achievement – Peter Ueberroth
- Sports Executive of the Year – Dick Ebersol, Chairman, NBC Universal Sports & Olympics
- Athletic Director of the Year – Joe Castiglione, University of Oklahoma
- Professional Sports Team of the Year – Boston Celtics
- Professional Sports League of the Year – National Basketball Association
- Sports Event of the Year – Amp Energy NHL Winter Classic
- Best in Sports Media – ESPN
- Best in Sports Television – NBC Sports
- Best in Digital Sports Media – ESPN Digital Media
- Best in Talent Representation and Management – CAA Sports
- Best in Corporate Consulting, Marketing and Client Services – IMG
- Best in Property Consulting, Sales and Client Services – IMG
- Sports Event Marketing Firm of the Year – GMR Marketing
- Sports Sponsor of the Year – Coca-Cola
- Sports Facility of the Year – Lucas Oil Stadium
- Best in Sports Technology – MLB Advanced Media for MLB At Bat
- Boston Celtics Daily Links 6/18
- What is Value?
- Clippers call off talks for Doc Rivers - real or posturing?
- NBA Trade Rumors: Latest updates on Celtics, Clippers megadeal for Doc...
- Celtics may be willing to accept two draft picks instead of cap savings
- In honor of Gino Time!
- What would next year's Celtics look like?