Report: Kings to make head coach decision ‘pretty quickly’
|06.02.09 at 11:42 am ET|
The Sacramento Kings are looking to make a decision on their head coaching vacancy ‘pretty quickly,’ according to Sam Amick of the Sacramento Bee. The organization interviewed Los Angeles Lakers assistant coach Kurt Rambis on Monday, days after interviewing Celtics assistant coach Tom Thibodeau for the position. They are reportedly interested in former Celtic Paul Westphal.
“They’re great candidates, all three of them,” Kings co-owner Joe Maloof told the Bee. “They’re all really good, so we’ll have to circle back with (President) Geoff (Petrie) a little later and see what he thinks. ‘¦ We’ll have a decision pretty quickly.”
Earlier this week, the Bee reported Westphal is the leading candidate. Even though Thibodeau has proven postseason experience as an assistant, Amick points out Petrie had specific criteria in mind at the beginning of the job search:
‘The mere presence of Thibodeau goes against Petrie’s initial outline of the parameters, as he had called for coaches with ‘some level of success’ as an NBA head coach. Rambis’ 24-13 record as a head coach qualifies, but comes nowhere close to Westphal’s 267-159 record.’
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Austin Ainge Offers Window to C's Pre-Draft Process
- Trade Possibilities for C's with Draft Approaching
- Latest Buzz Surrounding Jamal Crawford, Kristaps Porzingis, Celtics'...
- Latest NBA Trade Rumors, Buzz
- Ranking Celtics' Biggest NBA Draft Needs
- Buzz Surrounding Ty Lawson, Celtics Draft Plans and More
- Realistic Targets for Celtics to Chase During Offseason