Report: Suns haven’t talked to Celtics
|06.05.09 at 2:14 pm ET|
Earlier this week, radio station KTAR in Arizona floated the rumor of trade discussions between the Boston Celtics in Phoenix Suns that would send Ray Allen and Rajon Rondo out west in exchange for Amar’e Stoudemire, Leandro Barbosa, and the 14th pick.
The Arizona Republic has reported the Suns have not had conversations with the Celtics:
“There’s a lot of stuff flying around out there that has no basis,” Suns General Manager Steve Kerr said. “There’s just a ton of speculation but there really is nothing substantial going on.
“With most of these deals being speculated about, I haven’t even had a conversation with the opposing team. I read this stuff and laugh.”
The notion of trading forty percent of the Celtics starting lineup is startling at first. But there are reasons why Allen and Rondo could be heard in rumors this offseason. Allen turns 34 this summer and is entering the last year of his contract in which he is set to earn nearly $20 million. His expiring deal – plus proven track record – could make him an attractive option.
Rondo, on the other hand, is just starting to play up to his potential. At 23 he is the type of player a team can build around. The Celtics, however, have to decide how much they want to pay Rondo. He will become a free agent in 2010 so they can either sign him to an extension or take a risk on the going rate next summer.
Either way the Celtics will be financially limited when they try to add depth to their bench this summer and making trades is one way to work around that. It’s only the beginning of June and there is no doubt more rumors like this are sure to follow.
- Doc Rivers Triumphant in Return Against Boston Celtics: Highlights &...
- Doc Rivers Tears Up in Post Game Press Conference After His Los Angeles...
- Doc Rivers Moves On, Brad Stevens Pushes Forward - Torch Passed In Boston
- Doc has his day, C's fall to Clips 88-96
- Boston Celtics' Moving Tribute Video to Doc Rivers at TD Garden
- Doc Rivers On His Exit: 'I Didn't Like The Way It Played Out'
- Reunion week part 2 - Doc Rivers returns to the Garden with his Clippers...