Report: Celtics expressed interest in second pick
|06.09.09 at 11:58 am ET|
The Memphis Commercial Appeal has reported the Boston Celtics have expressed interest in acquiring the second pick in the 2009 NBA Draft from the Memphis Grizzlies. No word on what, if anything, had been offered in exchange. The Houston Rockets and New York Knicks have also approached the Grizzlies regarding the pick, according to the report.
Spanish guard Ricky Rubio is the projected second pick behind Oklahoma forward Blake Griffin. Once the Grizzlies drew their pick in the Draft Lottery, buzz began surrounding Rubio’s disinterest in playing in Memphis. However Grizzlies GM Chris Wallace met with Rubio’s agent, Dan Fegan, and had a ‘cordial meeting,’ according to the Commercial Appeal.
Rubio is not the guaranteed second pick, though. To start, the Grizzlies already have a young point guard in Mike Conley Jr. and have not committed to drafting Rubio. Secondly, Rubio still has to pay a multi-million dollar buyout from DVK Joventut before he plays anywhere in the NBA. And there are still other attractive prospects out there. According to several mock drafts, center Hasheem Thabeet (UConn), guard James Harden (Arizona State), and forward Jordan Hill (Arizona) round out the top five projected picks.
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Isaiah Thomas to Play vs. Wizards After Missing 2 Games with Knee Injury
- Ray Allen Not Invited to Rajon Rondo's NBA Title Celebration After...
- Isaiah Thomas Will Miss Next 2 Games for Celtics with Knee Injury
- Al Horford, Avery Bradley Out vs. Suns with Elbow, Hamstring Injuries
- Avery Bradley Returns from Achilles Injury for Celtics vs. Hawks
- Isaiah Thomas Criticizes DeMarre Carroll for Flagrant Foul in Celtics vs...