Powe sponsoring basketball camp
|07.01.09 at 2:43 pm ET|
Leon Powe isn’t letting his knee injury slow him down.
Amid free agency and rehabilitation from ACL surgery, he is sponsoring the Leon Powe Basketball Camp in Oakland this summer. The camp is run as part of his Fresh Start Family Services, a non-profit organization which mentors 14-21 year-olds in foster care. All proceeds from the camp will go toward the organization. This year’s camp will run 9am-2pm, August 14 and 15 at the Merritt College Gym. Visit the official site for details.
In addition to the camp, Powe is also behind Fresh Start for Oakland, an event organized to bring the community together for music, food, and fun. This event will take place 10am-4pm, August 15 at the Merritt College campus.
Powe began Fresh Start Family Services to provide support and education for those who, like he did, are growing up in foster care. “I always used to help everybody and some people tell me I help too much,” Powe told WEEI.com in May. “They tell me I can’t save everybody but I say, ‘I will try. I will try to save everybody.’”
He became a free agent on Wednesday when the Celtics did not make a qualifying offer on his contract.
- KG and Pierce look fine, C's fall to Nets 96 - 104
- 1st place Celtics take on Pierce, Garnett and the 4th place Nets
- Rondo: "I'm patient and I'm not going to rush"
- Boston Celtics Daily Links 12/10
- The Celtics and player development
- NBA trade market shifting as season progresses
- Boston Celtics Daily Links 12/9