- Green Street - http://greenstreet.weei.com -
Familiar Faces at Vegas Summer League
Posted By Jessica Camerato On July 20, 2009 @ 1:35 pm In General | 2 Comments
Even though the Boston Celtics already participated in the Orlando Summer League earlier this month, there were still plenty of familiar faces on hand at the 2009 Las Vegas Summer League last week:
- A relaxed Paul Pierce, who has a home in Vegas, donned a backwards Red Sox hat and sunglasses to a few games last Wednesday. Later that afternoon he was joined in the stands by Celtics GM Danny Ainge during the Milwaukee Bucks/Chicago Bulls match up.
- Celtics co-owner Wyc Grousbeck traveled to Las Vegas for the NBA’s Board of Governor’s Meeting. Grousbeck was appointed to the league’s Labor Relations Committee. While in Vegas he emphasized  the Celtics commitment to winning next season to WEEI.com.
- Sam Cassell looked like the Mayor of Summer League when he made his first appearance, being swarmed by friends before sitting courtside with Celtics assistant coach Tom Thibodeau, who spent the week eyeing talent. Cassell, of course, was sporting a huge smile but this time he had traded in his uniform for a polo and khaki shorts as assistant coach for the Washington Wizards. He was at the helm on Sunday when he led the Wiz to a victory over the New York Knicks.
- Ryan Gomes and Sebastian Telfair were in town training at Joe Abunassar’s Impact Basketball facility. Both players spent their mornings working out before checking out some Minnesota Timberwolves’ action from the bench. Click here  to read more on Gomes’ role reversal.
- James Posey also came to Vegas to support his team. He watched the New Orleans Hornets take on the Los Angeles Clippers from their bench.
- Patrick O’Bryant chatted with a reporter as he was late chasing a loose ball out of bounds with the Toronto Raptors. O’Bryant averaged 11.2 points, 6.4 rebounds, and 1.6 blocked shots.
- Brandon Wallace returned to Vegas, the same place where the Celtics signed him to his first NBA contract two years ago. Wallace suited up for the Wizards after spending last season in Poland. He posted 3.5 points and 1.8 rebounds per game under assistant coach Cassell.
- Kevinn Pinkney is giving the NBA another shot after playing in Italy the past two seasons. Pinkney, who had a brief stint with the Celtics during the 2006-07 season, averaged 2.4 points and 2.6 boards for the Clippers.
- Orien Greene came to Vegas as a spectator hoping to catch on with an NBA team next season. He recently returned home from playing in Amsterdam.
For more on the 2009 Las Vegas Summer League check out the five things we learned , including why the league is talking Sheed.
Article printed from Green Street: http://greenstreet.weei.com
URL to article: http://greenstreet.weei.com/sports/boston/basketball/celtics/2009/07/20/familiar-faces-at-vegas-summer-league/
URLs in this post:
 he emphasized: http://greenstreet.weei.com/sports/boston/basketball/celtics/2009/07/14/grousbeck-discusses-davis-celtics-offseason/
 Click here: http://greenstreet.weei.com/sports/boston/basketball/celtics/2009/07/13/role-reversal-for-gomes/
 five things we learned: http://www.weei.com/sports/boston/celtics/jessica-camerato/2009/07/19/five-things-we-learned-nba-las-vegas-summer-league
 > Familiar Faces at Vegas Summer League" data-url="http://greenstreet.weei.com/sports/boston/basketball/celtics/2009/07/20/familiar-faces-at-vegas-summer-league/">Tweet: http://twitter.com/share
 : #disqus_thread
Copyright © 2014 WEEI.com. All rights reserved.