Walker, Giddens, Hudson team up to give back
|08.06.09 at 10:39 am ET|
This week Bill Walker teamed up with J.R. Giddens and rookie Lester Hudson to help out 400 Boston families in need at the Feed the Children Event in Mattapan. The three Celtics and a group of 20 volunteers handed out $45,000 worth of non-perishable food items and personal items, including pasta, canned goods, body wash, and laundry detergent, at the Mildred Avenue School and Community Center.
Each family, pre-selected by Horizons for Homeless Children, Children’s Hospital Boston Community Health Center, MSPCC (Massachusetts Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Children), and Boston Centers for Youth and Families, received three boxes.
Prior to the event, the players and volunteers unloaded 1,200 boxes from a packed 18-wheeler that had been driven from New York to Boston. They also placed boxes in the families’ cars once they arrived.
Walker and Hudson took time out for autographs and photos during the event. For more information on the Celtics community involvement, read about the Shamrock Foundation at www.celtics.com. Check out more photos with the link below.
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Austin Ainge Offers Window to C's Pre-Draft Process
- Trade Possibilities for C's with Draft Approaching
- Latest Buzz Surrounding Jamal Crawford, Kristaps Porzingis, Celtics'...
- Latest NBA Trade Rumors, Buzz
- Ranking Celtics' Biggest NBA Draft Needs
- Buzz Surrounding Ty Lawson, Celtics Draft Plans and More
- Realistic Targets for Celtics to Chase During Offseason