Is Marbury Hinting at Retirement?
|09.08.09 at 11:23 pm ET|
From eating Vaseline to performing ballet to crying uncontrollably on camera, Stephon Marbury has kept the NBA world scratching their heads this summer with his unpredictable antics on the video streaming sites Justin.tv and USTREAM. These outbursts seemed damaging to the free agent’s already-tarnished reputation and put his future in the NBA in doubt.
Now one of Marbury’s latest Tweets shifts the question from, “Where will he play basketball next season?” to, “Is Marbury retiring?”
“Basketball is just a game. I will say it again. 14 years 250 million. Hold that. I’m good.. Thank you jesus for the blessing. Thanks NBA,“ he Tweeted on Tuesday.
Earlier this summer there were rumors Marbury may be heading to the Washington Wizards to play for former head coach Flip Saunders. He also talked about the idea of playing ball overseas, saying that he would average 50 points a game if he made the move. No offers, however, have been publicly reported since Marbury turned down a one-year deal to return to the Celtics in July.
In a buyer’s market — one in which marquee guard Allen Iverson has yet to sign a new contract — it is hard to imagine that an organization would bypass dozens of talented free agents to take on a player whose recent actions have deemed him a liability.
So has Marbury decided he’s finished with the NBA after 13 seasons in the league? In spite of his Tweet and amid all the uncertainty he has stirred up this summer, one thing is certain — it is impossible to truly predict Marbury’s next move.
- Jeff Green 8th in front court, Rajon Rondo 6th in back court in All Star...
- Boston Celtics Daily Links 12/12
- Doc Rivers Triumphant in Return Against Boston Celtics: Highlights &...
- Doc Rivers Tears Up in Post Game Press Conference After His Los Angeles...
- Doc Rivers Moves On, Brad Stevens Pushes Forward - Torch Passed In Boston
- Doc has his day, C's fall to Clips 88-96
- Boston Celtics' Moving Tribute Video to Doc Rivers at TD Garden