Report: Celtics ‘Unlikely’ to Sign Sweetney
|10.22.09 at 4:10 pm ET|
Despite playing better than expected this preseason, the Celtics are ‘unlikely’ to commit to a guaranteed contract to keep Michael Sweetney, according to Adrian Wojnarowski of Yahoo! Sports. Sweetney averaged 3.6 points and 1.2 rebounds in five preseason games after being out of the NBA for two years. He shot 67% from the field and 86% from the line.
Sweetney has not been shy in expressing his enthusiasm to play for the Celtics. Prior to the first preseason home game he told WEEI.com, ‘Coming here is just a great moment. Coming in the building was like, wow. But coming into this locker room and the history and just being on this team is just amazing … I’ve never been on a team at the beginning of the season and everybody says, ‘We’re going to make the playoffs.’ But this team has won championships, so it’s a different feeling surrounding it.’
He also gelled quickly with the team’s chemistry, including some friendly trash talking with Rasheed Wallace over football.
UPDATE: The Celtics waived Sweetney on Thursday.
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Austin Ainge Offers Window to C's Pre-Draft Process
- Trade Possibilities for C's with Draft Approaching
- Latest Buzz Surrounding Jamal Crawford, Kristaps Porzingis, Celtics'...
- Latest NBA Trade Rumors, Buzz
- Ranking Celtics' Biggest NBA Draft Needs
- Buzz Surrounding Ty Lawson, Celtics Draft Plans and More
- Realistic Targets for Celtics to Chase During Offseason