- Green Street - http://greenstreet.weei.com -
Fast Break: Celtics – Timberwolves
Posted By Jessica Camerato On November 4, 2009 @ 10:42 pm In General | 1 Comment
Playing in front of a sea of No. 5 jerseys, the Timberwolves  were determined to prove themselves against Kevin Garnett  and the Celtics . But in the end it was Garnett himself who forced a jumball to secure a 92-90 win for the Celtics, in Minnesota. 
Player of the game: Rajon Rondo  was outplayed by rookie Jonny Flynn in the first half, scoring just two points. Then he turned it on in the third quarter. Rondo posted 14 points in the third to bring the Celtics back into the game. He didn’t just put the ball in the hoop ‘ he baffled the Timberwolves defense, fought to get open, and burned his opponents with quick-thinking plays at the basket. Rondo finished the night with 18 points, 6 assists, and 4 rebounds, and 3 steals.
Turning point of the game: With over 10 lead changes in this game, the deciding play came with 3.6 seconds left in the fourth quarter. Up 92-90, the Celtics were fighting to fend off the Timberwolves game-winning/tying attempt. Garnett forced the jumpball against a driving Corey Brewer  and eventually iced the victory for the Celtics.
* Rasheed Wallace  added another T to his resume when he got whistled for a technical from the Celtics bench during the second quarter. It was reminiscent of Sam Cassell getting ejected from the sidelines last season without ever actually playing in the game.
* The Celtics were outrebounded 21-16 in the first half. Pierce was the only starter without a board in the first two quarters. Ryan Gomes , on the other hand, had five for the Timberwolves at the three-spot.
* Even though Rondo had the hot hand coming out of halftime, Doc Rivers  played up the Celtics strengths and subbed in House at the end of the quarter. The strategy paid off as a well-defended Pierce kicked the ball off to House for the game-tying three as time expired in the quarter. The Celtics carried that momentum into the fourth.
* Kevin Garnett recorded a double-double with 12 points and 11 rebounds. It was his first since opening night against the Cavaliers  (13 points, 10 rebounds).
* Timberwolves big man Oleksiy Pecherov made a name for himself with 24 points (9-14 FG) to lead all scorers.
Article printed from Green Street: http://greenstreet.weei.com
URL to article: http://greenstreet.weei.com/sports/boston/basketball/celtics/2009/11/04/fast-break-celtics-timberwolves/
URLs in this post:
 Timberwolves: http://media.weei.com/basketball/minnesota-timberwolves.htm
 Kevin Garnett: http://media.weei.com/basketball/kevin-garnett.htm
 Celtics: http://media.weei.com/basketball/boston-celtics.htm
 secure a 92-90 win for the Celtics, in Minnesota.: http://weei.stats.com/nba/recap.asp?g=2009110416
 Rajon Rondo: http://media.weei.com/basketball/rajon-rondo.htm
 Corey Brewer: http://media.weei.com/basketball/corey-brewer.htm
 Al Jefferson: http://media.weei.com/basketball/al-jefferson.htm
 Kendrick Perkins: http://media.weei.com/basketball/kendrick-perkins.htm
 Rasheed Wallace: http://media.weei.com/basketball/rasheed-wallace.htm
 Ryan Gomes: http://media.weei.com/basketball/ryan-gomes.htm
 Doc Rivers: http://media.weei.com/basketball/doc-rivers.htm
 Cavaliers: http://media.weei.com/basketball/cleveland-cavaliers.htm
 > Fast Break: Celtics – Timberwolves" data-url="http://greenstreet.weei.com/sports/boston/basketball/celtics/2009/11/04/fast-break-celtics-timberwolves/">Tweet: http://twitter.com/share
 : #disqus_thread
Copyright © 2014 WEEI.com. All rights reserved.