NBA Power Rankings 11/5
|11.05.09 at 8:55 am ET|
1. KG is still his intense and profane self on the court, but I always look forward to his unpredictable compliments to postgame interviewers. My favorite so far is KG hugging Cheryl Miller and saying, “You smell good, girl.”
6. I still can’t get over the fact that Manu Ginobili swatted a gliding bat out of the air, picked it up with his bare hands, walked it over to a security guard, and then kept playing as if nothing happened. I can’t decide if this is cool or if we should all be freaked out.
7. My friend, former Cav Donny Marshall, is trying to convince me that LeBron and Dwyane Wade are the same player — just in different sizes. I think they’re both great, but I’m not buying that one. Are you?
8. This ranking is definitely a testament to Wade’s greatness. Have you seen this team? The Heat start three guards, the wrong O’Neal at center, and a kid who constantly straddles the line between hoops and rehab.
9. I already want to bail on the Mavs and they haven’t played 10 games yet. They were two wins from a title three years ago, and they’ll never come that close again.
10. When you want bubblegum pop, you watch the Suns. You know they’re just going to give you a sugar high with very little substance, but you hang around anyway. They put on an entertaining skills competition every night, defense be damned.
11. It’s obvious: The Rockets love playing without Tracy McGrady. And I don’t blame them. They’re a better team without Tin-Mac, who’s got a world of talent and no heart.
12. This is going to sound weird, but they’ve actually done too good a job of ridding the team of the Jail Blazers moniker. While they don’t need an out-and-out thug, they could use an enforcer who would complement their very well-balanced team personality. You know who would have been perfect? Ron Artest.
14. Why do people say that Chris Paul “does it by himself”? I think his supporting cast is good, and it got better in the offseason when Tyson Chandler was swapped for Emeka Okafor. Okafor hasn’t played on a quality team since he left UConn, so I’m excited to see what he does with the league’s best point guard on his side.
16. Tell me another player who has fallen off more quickly than Elton Brand. It wasn’t that long ago when he was considered elite. Now, if you and four of your friends drafted the top 50 players in the league, Elton might not get picked.
18. You have to overlook a hell of a lot of posing, some chest-thumping, and the most god-awful shooting form you’ll ever see, but if you sift through the nonsense, Joakim Noah can actually grow on you.
27. Do you want a feel-good story or do you want to be pissed off? Well, I can accomplish both with one statement: Warriors center Mikki Moore, who simply is not a good player, makes more than a million dollars a year. If anyone wants to debate you on the unique opportunities that exist in America, feel free to drop that nugget on them.