- Green Street - http://greenstreet.weei.com -
Fast break: Celtics-Suns
Posted By Paul Flannery On November 6, 2009 @ 10:04 pm In General | 1 Comment
The popular notion coming into Friday night’s game with Phoenix was that the super-fast Suns would run into a brick Celtics  wall, but anyone expecting the Celtics to roll over the Suns was in for a surprise. In a hard-fought entertaining game, the Suns prevailed, 110-103, handing the Celtics their first loss of the season.
The Suns were blown out on Wednesday against Orlando (their first loss of the season) and came into this one with a bit of a chip on their shoulder and a feisty attitude. Channing Frye  and Kendrick Perkins  picked up double technicals at the end of the first half and there were more than a few wayward elbows getting tossed around.
The Celtics had a couple of chances to steal the game late, but Rajon Rondo  had his layup blocked by Amare Stoudemire and a 3-pointer by Rasheed Wallace  rattled in and out. Wallace was 0-for-6 on 3-point attempts and many of those shots met a similar fate.
Player of the game: Steve Nash . The veteran All-Star may have lost a step here or there, but he is still one of the league’s top orchestrators and he drained a huge 3-pointer in the final minute that put the final nail in the Celtics coffin.
Turning point: After the Celtics had closed to within two points at the end of the third quarter, Doc Rivers  stuck with his regular rotation which included the four reserves and Paul Pierce . Phoenix’s Jason Richardson  proceeded to go off scoring eight quick points. Phoenix steadily built the lead to 11 points and still Rivers resisted the urge to sub his starters back in until the eight-minute mark.
In a long season that is certainly the right decision by Rivers, but it may have cost them against Phoenix.
* Rivers said before the game that the Celtics wanted to run, and run they did in a breakneck paced first quarter. The C’s got up 23 first quarter shots and made 12 of them. The only problem was that the Suns shot 61 percent on the other end. Things slowed down in the second quarter when Phoenix went to its bench, but this was easily the fastest-paced game the Celtics have played this season.
* Ray Allen  picked up his fourth foul less than three minutes into the third quarter. The Suns increased their lead from four to nine with Allen off the floor, but the Celtics closed to within two, 85-83 by the end of the quarter.
* Allen had a vicious baseline dunk in the fourth quarter. It’s worth noting that both he and Pierce have been attacking the basket better than they were at the end of last season.
* Former Boston College  star Jared Dudley  played 30 very effective minutes for the Suns. He scored 10 points, but his primary responsibility was hounding Pierce, who shot just 5-for-15 from the floor.
* There was a funny moment midway through the third quarter. After Richardson tumbled into a photographer on a drive to the basket, Stoudemire helped him up and then went over to Bill Russell  who was sitting in the front row to shake his hand. Funnier moment came after the quarter when David Ortiz  came out of the crowd to help the new Lucky during his dunk routine.
Article printed from Green Street: http://greenstreet.weei.com
URL to article: http://greenstreet.weei.com/sports/boston/basketball/celtics/2009/11/06/fast-break-celtics-suns/
URLs in this post:
 Celtics: http://media.weei.com/basketball/boston-celtics.htm
 Channing Frye: http://media.weei.com/basketball/channing-frye.htm
 Kendrick Perkins: http://media.weei.com/basketball/kendrick-perkins.htm
 Rajon Rondo: http://media.weei.com/basketball/rajon-rondo.htm
 Rasheed Wallace: http://media.weei.com/basketball/rasheed-wallace.htm
 Steve Nash: http://media.weei.com/basketball/steve-nash.htm
 Doc Rivers: http://media.weei.com/basketball/doc-rivers.htm
 Paul Pierce: http://media.weei.com/basketball/paul-pierce.htm
 Jason Richardson: http://media.weei.com/basketball/jason-richardson.htm
 Ray Allen: http://media.weei.com/basketball/ray-allen-celtics.htm
 Boston College: http://media.weei.com/ncaa/boston-college-eagles.htm
 Jared Dudley: http://media.weei.com/basketball/jared-dudley.htm
 Bill Russell: http://media.weei.com/basketball/bill-russell.htm
 David Ortiz: http://media.weei.com/baseball/david-ortiz.htm
 > Fast break: Celtics-Suns" data-url="http://greenstreet.weei.com/sports/boston/basketball/celtics/2009/11/06/fast-break-celtics-suns/">Tweet: http://twitter.com/share
 : #disqus_thread
Copyright © 2014 WEEI.com. All rights reserved.