Fast Break: Celtics – Hawks
|11.13.09 at 10:43 pm ET|
Player of the game: Joe Johnson dropped 14 points in the second half to push the Hawks to a win. He fought to get open the entire night and attempted 21 shots. But it would be unfair to name Johnson based on his offensive performance in a game that was won by defense. Al Horford added 11 rebounds for the Hawks.
Turning point: The Hawks held the Celtics to two points in the first four minutes of the fourth quarter to take control of the game. They outscored the Celtics 25-16 in the final 12 minutes to keep a Cs win out of reach.
– Paul Pierce suffered a bruised left knee and left the game with 3:15 left in the third quarter. He fell to the ground during a play at the basket earlier in the quarter and limped to the bench during a timeout. He returned to the game two minutes into the fourth quarter. Pierce led all Celtics with 24 points.
– The Hawks dominated the boards from the very start of the game and outrebounded the Celtics 47-29. A breakdown by quarter ‘ first: Hawks 12-4, second: 13-9, third: 11-10, fourth: 11-6.
– The Celtics failed to connect on key free throws down the stretch. Rajon Rondo missed two, down nine with 3:24 to go. Pierce only hit one of two when the Celtics were down seven with 2:21 left in the game. The Celtics finished the night 17-for-23 from the line.
– It was an ugly three-point shooting night for the second game in a row. On Wednesday night the Celtics shot 7-for-19 and held the Jazz to 0-for-10. On Friday it was the Celtics who struggled, shooting 1-15 while the Hawks were 4-15.
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Isaiah Thomas to Play vs. Wizards After Missing 2 Games with Knee Injury
- Ray Allen Not Invited to Rajon Rondo's NBA Title Celebration After...
- Isaiah Thomas Will Miss Next 2 Games for Celtics with Knee Injury
- Al Horford, Avery Bradley Out vs. Suns with Elbow, Hamstring Injuries
- Avery Bradley Returns from Achilles Injury for Celtics vs. Hawks
- Isaiah Thomas Criticizes DeMarre Carroll for Flagrant Foul in Celtics vs...