Fast Break: Celtics – Warriors
|11.18.09 at 10:02 pm ET|
On Wednesday night the Celtics broke their losing streak against streaky scoring teams. After falling to Suns (111.3 ppg) and Hawks (108 ppg), the Celtics defeated the Warriors, the league’s highest scoring squad (111.6 ppg).They rolled 109-95 to improve to 9-3.
Player of the game: After scoring a total of 15 points over the last three games, Rondo scored 12 points in the third quarter alone to put the Celtics back in control. He finished the night with 18 points, 12 assists, and 7 rebounds. It was also a night of firsts for Rondo – he hit his first free throw since November 4 against the Timberwolves and drained his first three-pointer of the season.
Play of the game: Rondo earned his player of the game status in the third quarter. He scored the Celtics first fastbreak points of the game with 4:45 to go, then completed a three-point play for a 12-point lead. On the next possession he kicked the ball cross-court to Paul Pierce for a three-pointer and drained a trey of his own to put the Celtics up 78-65.
- Pierce passed Isiah Thomas on the NBA’s all-time scoring list with 19 points. He now ranks 48 (18,224) and is seven points behind Chet Walker (47th).
- The Celtics held the Warriors to 35.3% (6/17) three-point shooting. The Warriors came into the game ranked fourth in the league shooting 39.5% on the season. The Celtics, on the other hand, surpassed their season average (36.5%) with 8-for-19 shooting (42.1%).
- After getting outrebounded 21-14 in the first half, the Celtics crashed the boards in the second to reclaim the lead. They outrebounded the Warriors 22-14 in the second half (36-35 for the game).
- Former Celtic Mikki Moore posted six points and five rebounds in 28 minutes as the Warriors starting center. Before the game he said he is trying to help his high-scoring teammates become more defensive-minded, like the Celtics are.
- Kendrick Perkins was the first Celtics player to score in double-digits. He finished with 15 points and passed his previous season high of 14.
- An emotional week ahead for the Celtics
- State of the Celtics
- Brad Stevens keeping everyone on an even keel
- It's a laugher: Celtics trounce Knicks 114 - 73
- Boston Celtics Daily Links 12/8
- Celtics visit Knicks looking for 3rd straight win
- State of the Celtics: Can Jeff Green be a top two player on a contending...