Grande to Broadcast 1,000th Game
|12.03.09 at 3:44 pm ET|
On Thursday night, WEEI Celtics radio broadcaster Sean Grande will call the 1,000th NBA game of his career when the Celtics take on the Spurs in San Antonio. Grande will become just the third broadcaster behind Marv Albert and Ian Eagle to call 1,000 NBA games before the age of 40. He called his first NBA game on December 23, 1997 and has been broadcasting Celtics games for WEEI since 2001.
Albert “Scooter” Vertino, a senior producer for TNT, met Grande more than 10 years ago when Grande was a television broadcaster for the Timberwolves. He says Grande still exhibits the same qualities that impressed him back then.
“The thing that impresses me most is his preparation. I am sure that most people in his position put in the hours and work hard, but he doesn’t miss a trick. I have seen the numbers he crunches and the quantity is pretty incredible,” Vertino said via email. “The funniest moment I can recall was the Knicks game at Boston two seasons ago. The game was a huge blowout. Pretty sure it was James Posey that dove over the scorer’s table and landed in Sean and Cedric Maxwell’s laps. Posey’s presence was mentioned, but the game call continued.”
The Celtics WEEI pregame program will begin tonight at 7:30 EST. The game will kick off at 8pm. Click here for the official press release on the 1,000th game milestone.
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Austin Ainge Offers Window to C's Pre-Draft Process
- Trade Possibilities for C's with Draft Approaching
- Latest Buzz Surrounding Jamal Crawford, Kristaps Porzingis, Celtics'...
- Latest NBA Trade Rumors, Buzz
- Ranking Celtics' Biggest NBA Draft Needs
- Buzz Surrounding Ty Lawson, Celtics Draft Plans and More
- Realistic Targets for Celtics to Chase During Offseason