- Green Street - http://greenstreet.weei.com -
Fast Break: Celtics-Bulls
Posted By Paul Flannery On December 12, 2009 @ 10:30 pm In General | No Comments
Another night, another city, another Celtics  victory.
The Celtics have played a dozen road games so far this season and they have left town with a victory eleven times. The only time the C’s suffered a defeat on the road was four weeks ago to the day in Indiana. There was no danger of a repeat performance in a 106-80 win over the Bulls  on Saturday, and not just because the Celtics have figured out the road game better than every other team in the NBA.
In Chicago, the Celtics not only caught a team playing the second night of a back-to-back, with the night before going to overtime. They also caught a Bulls team in crisis mode. The double digit losses are mounting and it may only be a matter of time before the Bulls start looking for a new coach.
Credit the Celtics with doing what they needed to do and continuing their winning ways on the road, but the Bulls are in big trouble.
Player of the Game: Rajon Rondo . The Celtics point guard has been playing his best basketball of the season and he continued his run with 16 points, 14 assists, seven rebounds and three steals. Every time Rondo and Derrick Rose  match up has the potential to be a special occasions, but at this point in their careers, Rondo is clearly the superior player.
Turning Point: If the Bulls were going to make it a game, they needed to make a stand to start the second half. Instead they degenerated in a morass of turnovers, bad shots and shoddy defense. Game over.
* Brad Miller  got a little payback on Rondo early in the first quarter when he collared Rondo on a drive to the basket and threw him to the ground, getting a flagrant foul in the process. Rondo had whacked Miller across the face during the playoffs last season, drawing blood. To Rondo’s credit he continued to attack the middle of the Bulls defense.
* Later in the game Miller got into it a little bit with Kendrick Perkins  with the duo getting called for a double foul after Miller hooked perk and Perk flipped him to the ground.
* Paul Pierce  took a bit of a beating. He hurt his right shoulder in the third quarter and then banged knees with Luol Deng later in the quarter. Pierce stayed in, and showed yet again why he is one of the toughest players in the league, but the Celtics can ill afford to be without Pierce while Marquis Daniels  rehabs from surgery.
* The Celtics bench played very well in the first half and increased the lead while the starters were getting a rest. Vinny Del Negro on the other hand worked his starters big minutes one night removed from an overtime win over the Warriors. The second half was fairly predictable.
* Without Daniels, the Celtics don’t really have a second ballhandler. They can get away with it for a while, particularly against teams like Chicago that don’t pressure guards, but Daniels’ loss will be felt at some point.
* All five starters scored in double figures as did Wallace and Eddie House .
Article printed from Green Street: http://greenstreet.weei.com
URL to article: http://greenstreet.weei.com/sports/boston/basketball/celtics/2009/12/12/fast-break-celtics-bulls-2/
URLs in this post:
 Celtics: http://media.weei.com/basketball/boston-celtics.htm
 Bulls: http://media.weei.com/basketball/brad-miller-rockets.htm
 Rajon Rondo: http://media.weei.com/basketball/rajon-rondo.htm
 Derrick Rose: http://media.weei.com/basketball/derrick-rose.htm
 Brad Miller: http://media.weei.com/basketball/brad-miller-bulls.htm
 Kendrick Perkins: http://media.weei.com/basketball/kendrick-perkins.htm
 Paul Pierce: http://media.weei.com/basketball/paul-pierce.htm
 Marquis Daniels: http://media.weei.com/basketball/marquis-daniels.htm
 Eddie House: http://media.weei.com/basketball/eddie-house.htm
 > Fast Break: Celtics-Bulls" data-url="http://greenstreet.weei.com/sports/boston/basketball/celtics/2009/12/12/fast-break-celtics-bulls-2/">Tweet: http://twitter.com/share
 : #disqus_thread
Copyright © 2014 WEEI.com. All rights reserved.