Fast Break: Celtics vs. Grizzlies
|12.14.09 at 10:52 pm ET|
Paul Pierce led the Celtics with 19 points but it was a total team effort. Ray Allen and Rajon Rondo scored 18 apiece, Kevin Garnett and Kendrick Perkins both posted 13, while Rasheed Wallace added 15 from the bench. Rudy Gay led all scorers with 23 points.
Player of the Game: Kudos to Rudy Gay for keeping the young Grizzlies team in this game (7-17 FG, 9-9 FT), but it was veteran Ray Allen who iced the game for the Celtics with seconds left in the fourth quarter.
Turning Point: After OJ Mayo drained a three to cut the Celtics lead to 107-105 in the fourth quarter, the Grizzlies read the Celtics offense and nearly picked off Paul Pierce. However Allen quickly recovered with and drained a three as the shot clock expired to put the Celtics up 110-105.
– The Cs and Grizzlies had nearly identical offensive and defensive performances. The Celtics shot 52.5% FG (40-82) and the Grizzlies shot 51.2% FG (42-82). Both teams grabbed 36 rebounds (11 offensive, 25 defensive).
– The Celtics most noticeable advantage came at the point guard position. They dished 25 assists, 11 more than the Grizzlies. Rajon Rondo added nine dimes to Mike Conley’s four.
– The Celtics won their first Monday night game of the season.
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Austin Ainge Offers Window to C's Pre-Draft Process
- Trade Possibilities for C's with Draft Approaching
- Latest Buzz Surrounding Jamal Crawford, Kristaps Porzingis, Celtics'...
- Latest NBA Trade Rumors, Buzz
- Ranking Celtics' Biggest NBA Draft Needs
- Buzz Surrounding Ty Lawson, Celtics Draft Plans and More
- Realistic Targets for Celtics to Chase During Offseason