Fast Break: Celtics vs. Pacers
|12.22.09 at 10:04 pm ET|
BOSTON ‘ It was one of the ugliest first half performances the Celtics have displayed in a while. But as they have done so many times, they owned the third quarter to fight back for a 103-94 win over the Pacers on Tuesday night at the Garden.
Turning Point: After being outscored by 15 in the first half, Celtics went on a 31-14 run to take a 73-71 lead off a Rasheed Wallace fastbreak dunk. Kendrick Perkins dropped 13 points in the third quarter alone while Ray Allen added 11 in 12 minutes. The Celtics outscored the Pacers 35-20 in the quarter to get back in the game.
Player of the Game: This win was a combined effort throughout the second half. After Perkins and Allen scored 13 and 11 points in the third, respectively, it was Paul Pierce who got hot late in the game. He scored 14 points in the fourth quarter to finish the night with 21.
– Kevin Garnett did not play (bruised right thigh) and did not join the Celtics on the bench. According to team sources, the decision was Doc Rivers‘, not Garnett’s. Rasheed Wallace got his first start of the season in place of Garnett.
– The Celtics gave up 57 points in the first half, tying the season-high set by the Suns on November 6. This is the eighth time this season the Celtics have allowed more than 50 points in the first half.
– Perkins was whistled for his 8th technical of the season. He moved ahead of Carmelo Anthony to rank second in the league, behind only Wallace.
– Pierce shot 6-for-6 from three-point range on Sunday. He started Tuesday’s game 0-for-6 from the field.
– Wallace banged his right shoulder in the second half but did return to the game.
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Why Celtics Will Be Better Than Expected in 2014-15
- Should Celtics Fans Buy or Sell Rondo's Hot Start?
- Lessons Learned from Celtics so Far
- Why Green Will Finally Succeed in Boston
- C's Big Offense Showing a Sign of Things to Come?
- Green's Transition to PF Could Reshape NBA Career Arc
- Could Rondo's Play Increase the Chances He's Dealt?