- Green Street - http://greenstreet.weei.com -
Fast Break: Celtics-Nets
Posted By Paul Flannery On January 13, 2010 @ 10:05 pm In General | No Comments
At times this season the Celtics  have struggled against mediocre teams. Fortunately for them the Nets  aren’t mediocre. They’re awful. It’s been a long time since epic Nets failures of the past like Dennis Hopson and Dave Feitl roamed what is now called the Izod Center. Time and the Jason Kidd  era may have made people forget that stretch of futility, but this year’s Nets seem determined to outdo even the worst of those teams
The final score was 111-87 but in truth the Celtics could have named the number because the Nets clearly didn’t want to be there. At one point in the second quarter after Brook Lopez  had rebounded a missed free throw, Rajon Rondo  snuck around behind Lopez and literally ripped the ball from his hands. Lopez outweighs Rondo by almost 100 pounds.
The Celtics will take any kind of win they can get right now, but it can’t be minimized that the Nets were an embarrassment.
Player of the Game: Paul Pierce /Rajon Rondo (tie). There is no rule that says we can’t have co-players of the game and while Pierce was scoring 24 points, Rondo was dishing out 14 assists. Pierce exposed the Nets lack of interior defense early when he went to the basket and dunked while three Nets watched. Rondo simply ran the team perfectly, while also keeping his teammates from trying to get their scoring averages all at once.
Turning Point: The opening tip. The Nets had no chance in this game and to the Celtics credit, they didn’t give them any either. Early in the game Ray Allen  went up for a jump shot and there wasn’t a New Jersey defender within five feet of him. It’s one thing to be devoid of talent, it’s another to not compete.
* The NBA sent a curious mixed message with their decision to fine Doc Rivers  $25,000 and also rescind the Flagrant 1 foul on Glen Davis  from Monday night’s game against the Hawks. In effect Rivers was fined for protesting a call the league later overruled.
* Speaking of Davis, he scored 13 points for the second straight game, which seems like a solid step in the right direction. But late in the game he was fouled hard by newest Net Kris Humphries and it appeared to bother his surgically-repaired thumb.
* Tony Allen  threw down an incredible one-handed alley-oop dunk off a pass from Paul Pierce in which he appeared to start his leap from behind the basket.
* Brian Scalabrine  had another strong game, scoring 11 points and adding four points and four rebounds. Scalabrine has had a difficult season but if he can build on these last two games he might be able to get back on the right track.
* Bill Walker  finally got some playing time and played well in six minutes of mop-up action. There has been a small outcry for Walker to get more minutes but barring any type of injury situation it just doesn’t look like it’s going to happen this season. The knee surgery he underwent in training camp set him back and he has now fallen behind J.R. Giddens in the young-player derby, which is a dubious honor since Giddens doesn’t play much either.
Article printed from Green Street: http://greenstreet.weei.com
URL to article: http://greenstreet.weei.com/sports/boston/basketball/celtics/2010/01/13/fast-break-celtics-nets-2/
URLs in this post:
 Celtics: http://media.weei.com/basketball/boston-celtics.htm
 the Nets: http://media.weei.com/basketball/new-jersey-nets.htm
 Jason Kidd: http://media.weei.com/basketball/jason-kidd.htm
 Brook Lopez: http://media.weei.com/basketball/brook-lopez.htm
 Rajon Rondo: http://media.weei.com/basketball/rajon-rondo.htm
 Paul Pierce: http://media.weei.com/basketball/paul-pierce.htm
 Ray Allen: http://media.weei.com/basketball/ray-allen-celtics.htm
 Doc Rivers: http://media.weei.com/basketball/doc-rivers.htm
 Glen Davis: http://media.weei.com/basketball/glen-davis.htm
 Tony Allen: http://media.weei.com/basketball/tony-allen.htm
 Brian Scalabrine: http://media.weei.com/basketball/brian-scalabrine.htm
 Bill Walker: http://media.weei.com/basketball/bill-walker.htm
 > Fast Break: Celtics-Nets" data-url="http://greenstreet.weei.com/sports/boston/basketball/celtics/2010/01/13/fast-break-celtics-nets-2/">Tweet: http://twitter.com/share
 : #disqus_thread
Copyright © 2014 WEEI.com. All rights reserved.