Fast Break: Celtics vs. Wizards
|02.01.10 at 9:51 pm ET|
The Celtics snapped their three-game losing streak with a 99-88 come-from-behind win over the Wizards in Washington, D.C. on Monday. After leading after the first quarter, the C’s trailed by as many as nine points. They chased the Wiz for the second and third quarters before reclaiming the lead in the fourth and holding on for the victory.
But this win was not without an injury scare. With two minutes to go in the first quarter, Paul Pierce collided with Caron Butler fighting for a loose ball. Both players fell to the ground and Pierce suffered a mid-foot injury. He left the game and later returned, but was limited to 27 minutes. He scored 12 points and grabbed eight rebounds.
Player of the Game: Rajon Rondo deserves recognition for recording his 21st double-double of the season. He posted 17 points and 12 rebounds in 35 minutes. But the honors go to Kevin Garnett, who scored a team-high 19 points and had one of his best offensive performances of the season. Garnett shot a near-perfect 8-for-9 from the field. Nearly all of them came outside the paint, where he had his shooting streak going for 31 minutes.
Turning Point: Ray Allen, who missed a game-winner against the Lakers, drained a 3-pointer to reclaim an 81-80 lead halfway through the fourth. It was the Celtics first lead since the end of the first quarter when they led 28-27. The Wizards took a quick 82-81 lead but the Celtics scored on the following possession and never looked back.
- Tony Allen followed up his best game of the season with another solid performance. Allen posted 14 points in 25 minutes against the Lakers. On Monday, he scored 10 points and six rebounds in 28 minutes against the Wizards. But his best contributions came on the defensive end. Allen came up with two key plays in the fourth quarter that maintained the Celtics lead. First he blocked a potentially game-tying jumper by Earl Boykins with 5:26 left. Minutes later he stole the ball from Caron Butler, kicked It out to Rondo for the fast break, and then finished it off with a floater.
- The Wizards entered the game averaging more than 42 points her game. The Celtics held them to 35 while nabbing 39 of their own.
- The Celtics improved to 30-16. They will return to Boston for a three-game homestand against the Heat, Nets, and Magic.
- Jeff Green 8th in front court, Rajon Rondo 6th in back court in All Star...
- Boston Celtics Daily Links 12/12
- Doc Rivers Triumphant in Return Against Boston Celtics: Highlights &...
- Doc Rivers Tears Up in Post Game Press Conference After His Los Angeles...
- Doc Rivers Moves On, Brad Stevens Pushes Forward - Torch Passed In Boston
- Doc has his day, C's fall to Clips 88-96
- Boston Celtics' Moving Tribute Video to Doc Rivers at TD Garden