Fast Break: Celtics vs. Magic
|02.07.10 at 5:09 pm ET|
The Celtics had this game in their grasp. They led by 11 points at halftime. All they had to do was hold on for another 24 minutes.
That task proved too difficult. The Magic went on a 19-0 run in the third and outscored the Celtics 36-11. It was the least amount of point the Celtics have scored in a quarter all season (previous low was 12 against the Heat on Nov. 29).
The Celtics got back within eight late in the fourth and flirted with a few runs, but their third-quarter hole was too deep to overcome. They lost 96-89 to the Magic.
Turning point: Lewis tied the game 60-60 off a three-pointer with 4:36 left in the third. The Magic took the lead off Carter trey, 63-60, immediately following a timeout. Kevin Garnett was whistled for an offensive foul on the next possession, and the Magic continued to extend their lead from that point on.
Player of the Game: The trio of Carter, Howard, and Lewis stepped up in the second half to drive the Magic to a come-from-behind victory. Howard also grabbed 10 rebounds during that stretch.
‘¢Paul Pierce scored 13 points (5-11 FG, 1-5 3PG, 2-2 FT) in 30 minutes after coming back from a foot injury. Marquis Daniels looked impressive in his return from thumb surgery in December. He scored eight point (4-7 FG) in 13 minutes.
‘¢Howard dominated the match up against Perkins. Despite being called for five fouls, Howard still posted a double-double with 16 points and 13 rebounds. Perkins, on the other hand, added just two points and three rebounds in 22 minutes.
‘¢The Magic won the regular season series 3-1. Last season the Celtics split the series 2-2.
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Isaiah Thomas to Play vs. Wizards After Missing 2 Games with Knee Injury
- Ray Allen Not Invited to Rajon Rondo's NBA Title Celebration After...
- Isaiah Thomas Will Miss Next 2 Games for Celtics with Knee Injury
- Al Horford, Avery Bradley Out vs. Suns with Elbow, Hamstring Injuries
- Avery Bradley Returns from Achilles Injury for Celtics vs. Hawks
- Isaiah Thomas Criticizes DeMarre Carroll for Flagrant Foul in Celtics vs...