Fast Break: Celtics vs. Nets
|02.27.10 at 3:32 pm ET|
The Celtics suffered their worst loss in recent memory on Saturday and fell to the now six-win New Jersey Nets, 104-96.
The C’s blew an early 10-point lead and got outscored 102-84 after that point.
While the Celtics shot better than the Nets from the field, the Nets got to the line 30 more times and hit 25 more free throws.
Even though the C’s cut the lead to within six with less than two minutes to play, Ray Allen missed a critical three-pointer. Kris Humphries connected on the next possession to push the lead back up to eight with 1:28.
Turning Point: The Celtics started to let the Nets back into the game late in the first quarter. Keyon Dooling gave the Nets a two-point lead heading into the second quarter, where the Nets went on a 17-9 run. The Celtics got down by 10 points and never fought back.
Player of the Game: Brook Lopez led all players with 23 points. The second-year big man battled against Kevin Garnett to score 25 points and get to the line 14 times.
- This was only the Celtics second loss in the Atlantic Division. Prior to the game, they were 10-1 with a loss to the 76ers.
- This loss defied the Celtics statistical history this season. They entered the game 20-5 when shooting 50.0 percent or better and 24-4 when holding their opponents to less than 44.9 percent from the field. On Saturday the C’s shot 50.0 percent while the Nets shot just 44.4 percent.
- Kevin Garnett fell under the basket in the second half and winced when he got up. After taking a breather on the bench, he came back in the fourth quarter. Garnett led all players with 26 points.
- Courtney Lee suffered a left ankle sprain in the fourth quarter and did not return. He had scored 21 points in 30 minutes.
- State of the Celtics: how a hypothetical trade with the Knicks turned...
- Ainge: Playoffs not a goal, progress is
- Jeff Green 8th in front court, Rajon Rondo 6th in back court in All Star...
- Boston Celtics Daily Links 12/12
- Doc Rivers Triumphant in Return Against Boston Celtics: Highlights &...
- Doc Rivers Tears Up in Post Game Press Conference After His Los Angeles...
- Doc Rivers Moves On, Brad Stevens Pushes Forward - Torch Passed In Boston