- Green Street - http://greenstreet.weei.com -
Fast break: Celtics-Pistons
Posted By Paul Flannery On March 2, 2010 @ 10:15 pm In General | No Comments
The Celtics  don’t need to care about style point right now, which is good because there weren’t many to be had Tuesday night in Detroit. For three quarters they couldn’t shake the Pistons, who at 21-39 are the definition of lackluster. That the Celtics came away with a 105-100 victory is really the only thing that matters.
The big picture is still cloudy for this team, and it will take much better efforts than this to compete with elite teams in the Eastern Conference. Perhaps a win like this will finally convince the Celtics that this is their reality now. Perhaps not. We’ll simply have to wait and see if they are ready to move beyond their professed “boredom” and get to work.
In the meantime they will surely take a win, no matter how unsightly or ugly it was. If they are looking for positive signs, their bench was the difference-maker, particularly Nate Robinson , who came to the rescue in the fourth quarter. Rajon Rondo , who had one of the worst 15-point, 11-assist games you will ever see, managed to make all four of his free throws in the final minute.
But the most important thing was the victory. Now they have to do it again Wednesday night in Boston.
Turning Point: Trailing by three points at the start of the fourth quarter, the Celtics bench took over. Up to that point there had not been much of note for the second unit. But then Nate Robinson got hot and Glen Davis  got active. The bench went on 17-6 run that gave the Celtics an 89-81 lead.
Player of the Game: Rasheed Wallace  didn’t score the most points and he didn’t grab the most rebounds. He didn’t dominate in the paint and he didn’t bury a bunch of 3-pointers. He did, however, play the kind of defense the Celtics expect from him and he did take good shots within the rhythm of the offense. Wallace also had a big block on Jonas Jerkebo down the stretch, making his second game in Detroit a little more memorable than the first.
* Robinson played the majority of the fourth quarter and scored 14 points in just 15 minutes of action. He energized the Celtics offensively.
* Ray Allen  scored 18 points and he did most of his damage in the second half when the Celtics needed it the most. He also had a bizarre turnover when he simply slipped and lost the ball out of bounds.
* Detroit shot 3-for-20 from 3-point range, while the C’s went 9-for-18.
* Paul Pierce  returned to the lineup after missing the last three games games. Pierce drained a 3-pointer and didn’t appear to favor his injured thumb. He finished with nine points, one rebound and one assist in 29 minutes.
* The news wasn’t so good on Kendrick Perkins  who sat out the game with the flu. This is the first game that Perkins has missed all season. With Perkins out, Shelden Williams  became the second big man off the bench in Doc Rivers ‘ rotation. He has played just seven minutes since Jan. 14.
* Austin Daye, the son of former Celtic Darren Daye, had a big half with nine points and four rebounds for Detroit.
* Kevin Garnett  picked up a technical foul late in the half.
Article printed from Green Street: http://greenstreet.weei.com
URL to article: http://greenstreet.weei.com/sports/boston/basketball/celtics/2010/03/02/fast-break-celtics-pistons/
URLs in this post:
 Celtics: http://media.weei.com/basketball/boston-celtics.htm
 Nate Robinson: http://media.weei.com/basketball/nate-robinson.htm
 Rajon Rondo: http://media.weei.com/basketball/rajon-rondo.htm
 Glen Davis: http://media.weei.com/basketball/glen-davis.htm
 Rasheed Wallace: http://media.weei.com/basketball/rasheed-wallace.htm
 Ray Allen: http://media.weei.com/basketball/ray-allen-celtics.htm
 Paul Pierce: http://media.weei.com/basketball/paul-pierce.htm
 Kendrick Perkins: http://media.weei.com/basketball/kendrick-perkins.htm
 Shelden Williams: http://media.weei.com/basketball/shelden-williams.htm
 Doc Rivers: http://media.weei.com/basketball/doc-rivers.htm
 Kevin Garnett: http://media.weei.com/basketball/kevin-garnett.htm
 > Fast break: Celtics-Pistons" data-url="http://greenstreet.weei.com/sports/boston/basketball/celtics/2010/03/02/fast-break-celtics-pistons/">Tweet: http://twitter.com/share
 : #disqus_thread
Copyright © 2014 WEEI.com. All rights reserved.