Doc to big men: Shelden ‘wants your minutes’
|03.17.10 at 8:40 pm ET|
Doc Rivers remembers how vital a sense of urgency can be for those who back up the starters.
Now, with Shelden Williams seeing some more playing time of late, he hopes history is in the course of repeating itself.
And he’s let everyone on the second unit know it.
“We kind of alerted the other bigs that if you’re not getting the job done, we’re just going to go with Shelden,” Rivers said before Wednesday’s game. “If he’s not, then we’ll go back with you. But I think right now, with our team, I think that’s a good place for all of them to be in.”
Rivers clearly is looking for that extra fire in the second unit to motivate the likes of Davis and Rasheed Wallace.
“I thought that was very good a couple of years ago with Leon and Baby,” Rivers said. “I thought that sense of urgency that the other guy wanted to play your minutes was a good thing for our team.
“We kind of feel into but I think it’s great that Shelden is there and wants your minutes.”
Williams has seen significant minutes of late in blowouts over the Pacers, Pistons and Knicks.
“It’s need and he’s showing me something,” Rivers said. “It’s been great all year in the fact that once he stopped playing he never stopped working.”
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Isaiah Thomas to Play vs. Wizards After Missing 2 Games with Knee Injury
- Ray Allen Not Invited to Rajon Rondo's NBA Title Celebration After...
- Isaiah Thomas Will Miss Next 2 Games for Celtics with Knee Injury
- Al Horford, Avery Bradley Out vs. Suns with Elbow, Hamstring Injuries
- Avery Bradley Returns from Achilles Injury for Celtics vs. Hawks
- Isaiah Thomas Criticizes DeMarre Carroll for Flagrant Foul in Celtics vs...