The Celtics  treated the Kings exactly the way they should have Friday night at the Garden. The final score was 94-86, and despite some anxious moments in the fourth quarter it wasn’t really that close.
The Kings cut down what had been a 24-point Celtics lead down to six late in the game, but that came mostly against the second unit that had logged considerably more time than usual. The starters returned in the final five minutes and held serve.
The Celtics have now six of their last seven games since losing in Cleveland two weeks ago. With the win, and a Toronto loss, the Celtics clinched their third straight Atlantic Division title. That officially gives them the tiebreaker for third place in the East with the Hawks if they wind up with the same record.
The Celtics received even more good news Friday as the Hawks lost in Philadelphia. That puts the C’s a full game ahead of Atlanta.
The Kings were missing rookie Tyreke Evans , but it wouldn’t have mattered all that much if he had played. The Celtics jumped on Sacramento early and never looked back. They led by 15 points after one quarter and by 20 at the half.
Player of the Game: Rajon Rondo  passed Rick Fox for the Celtics single-season record for steals with 167 and he moved passed Sherman Douglas for second on the single-season assists list. Next up for Rondo is Bob Cousy  who has held the mark since the 1959-60 season (715). With a career-high 18 assists Friday night, Rondo has 696 for the season for the season. He could pass Cooz on this homestand.
Turning Point: With the Celtics leading by nine with 1:45 left in the game, they forced a 24-second shot clock violation and Kevin Garnett  threw down a dunk at the other end to push the lead back up to double digits.
* Tony Allen  came off the bench with the first wave of reserves and Marquis Daniels  did not. Doc Rivers  said before the game that Allen had earned some more playing time and he was as good as his word. This will be an interesting dynamic as the season plays out.
* Kevin Garnett had an incredibly active first quarter with seven rebounds. Garnett recorded his second straight double double with 18 points and 13 rebounds.
* Kendrick Perkins  sat the game out with soreness in his knee. Rasheed Wallace  started in his place and drew two quick fouls. Wallace wound up fouling out in 25 minutes with six points and just one rebound.
With Perkins out Shelden Williams  got some extended time and played well with six points and three rebounds in 23 minutes.
* Ray Allen  scored 18 points in the first half on 7-for-11 shooting.
* Nate Robinson  sprained his left ankle at the 7-minute mark of the second quarter. Robinson was taken to the locker room and did not return.
* Brian Scalabrine  entered the game late in the third quarter. It was his first action since March 7 against the Wizards. That was also the last game before the Celtics activated Michael Finley .