Doc: ‘We’ve got to get stops’
|05.08.10 at 4:31 pm ET|
WALTHAM – Doc Rivers had just finished talking about his team’s lack of execution in Game 3 when he quickly got to the root of the Celtics downfall.
“Listen, if we’re going to talk about our offense when we just gave up 120 points, then we’ve got problems,” he said after practice on Saturday. “That was not an offensive problem last night. That was a defensive problem. We score off our defense, off of getting stops, and if you’re going to take the ball out every time, you’re not scoring in the playoffs. You’ve got to get stops and multiple stops to score.”
The Celtics gave up 124 points to the Cavaliers on Friday, nearly 30 more points than their opponents’ regular season average. (In contrast, the C’s held the Heat to just 87.6 points per game in the first round victory.) The Cavaliers also shot a staggering 59.5 percent from the field in Game 3.
“We’ve got to get stops,” said Rivers. “We’ve got to make them miss. We’ve just got to make them miss shots. We know how to do that. I don’t think we had a lot of pressure on them. I thought they had us on our heels the entire game, and so we’ve got to get back up into them.”
- If This Is The End For Brandon Bass...
- NBA trade rumors - Celtics may be winning Asik sweepstakes by default
- Celtics fall in a hard-fought contest, 107-106
- Boston Celtics Video: Courtney Lee On Trade Rumors: 'I've Become A Pro At...
- Woj: deal for Asik could include Bass, Lee, and a 1st round pick
- Celtics continue home stand with a visit from the Pistons
- NBA trade rumor: Wednesday morning updates on Asik rumors