Why Spike Lee is rooting for the Celtics
|05.11.10 at 12:09 pm ET|
Diehard New York fan Spike Lee is throwing his support to the Celtics ‘ but not without his own motivations.
As Lee explained to ESPNNewYork.com, he has the Knicks’ best interest in mind when he roots for the C’s. He hopes that an Eastern Conference semifinals loss for the Cavaliers could sway James to leave Cleveland during free agency this summer.
“We need LeBron,” Lee said. “I feel we have a better chance to get LeBron James if Cleveland loses this series to the Celtics. The quicker Cleveland loses, the better our chances are of getting LeBron.”
In spite of his allegiance to the Knicks, Lee actually has a few ties to the Celtics. He directed Ray Allen in ‘He Got Game’ and recently spoke with Rajon Rondo at an event for ‘Just Wright,’ a movie in which Rondo has a cameo.
While Lee told ESPN he does not think the Cavs have an answer for Rondo, he strongly re-emphasized the true reason behind his unexpected support for the C’s.
“I’m not putting on any green and I’m not going to kiss the Blarney Stone or do the shamrock thing,’ he said. ‘I hate the Red Sox as much as I hate the Celtics and the ghost of Johnny Most and all those guys. This is the first and last time I root for Boston on anything, but for this one possible result it’s worth it.”
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Austin Ainge Offers Window to C's Pre-Draft Process
- Trade Possibilities for C's with Draft Approaching
- Latest Buzz Surrounding Jamal Crawford, Kristaps Porzingis, Celtics'...
- Latest NBA Trade Rumors, Buzz
- Ranking Celtics' Biggest NBA Draft Needs
- Buzz Surrounding Ty Lawson, Celtics Draft Plans and More
- Realistic Targets for Celtics to Chase During Offseason