NBA suspends ref for incident
|05.20.10 at 6:17 pm ET|
The NBA announced Thursday that referee Joe DeRosa will be suspended one game following an incident with a fan in Orlando during Game 2 of the Eastern Conference finals. DeRosa, a longtime official and crew chief, will miss the next game he was scheduled to work.
The incident occurred at halftime when DeRosa walked to the scorer’s table with fellow refs Marc Davis and Bill Kennedy. Several Orlando fans were getting on the officials, including Wyndham Vacation Ownership CEO Franz Hanning, who walked up to the table to yell at DeRosa. The ref responded by tossing the game ball to Hanning, who tossed it back.
The NBA said that Hanning was not ejected from the game, as had been reported. Hanning is a friend of Doc Rivers from the coach’s time with the Magic.
After the game, Rivers said this about DeRosa: “Joe, no, he’s not an emotional guy. He’s usually great in these situations, [but] I don’t know what happened.”
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Why Celtics Will Be Better Than Expected in 2014-15
- Should Celtics Fans Buy or Sell Rondo's Hot Start?
- Lessons Learned from Celtics so Far
- Why Green Will Finally Succeed in Boston
- C's Big Offense Showing a Sign of Things to Come?
- Green's Transition to PF Could Reshape NBA Career Arc
- Could Rondo's Play Increase the Chances He's Dealt?