|Halftime: Celtics-Magic||05.28.10 at 9:55 pm ET|
The Celtics could be just 24 minutes away from a trip to the NBA Finals, leading the Magic 55-42 at halftime of Game 6.
The biggest reason why the Celtics have been able to regain control of this series and play their best half of basketball in nearly a week?
The point guards.
That’s right, plural.
Rajon Rondo was brilliant in the first quarter (12 points, three rebounds, two assists,) but left the game after taking a hard fall late in the opening 12 minutes. In this series, no Rondo has usually meant a Magic run. But Nate Robinson — who had his moments in Game 5 — came off the bench and went absolutely crazy in the second quarter, scoring 13 points and disrupting Jameer Nelson with his defense. A shocking effort and immeasurable bonus for the Celtics, who were using Tony Allen as the backup point guard for most of the playoffs.
The two point guards combined to score 25 points with three assists, two steals and zero turnovers.
Paul Pierce had a solid first half, scoring 10 points.
Dwight Howard was strong again, scoring 13 points with five rounds before leaving with three fouls. Vince Carter resurfaced, chipping in with 13 points, all in the second quarter.
The Celtics led by as many as 21 points in the second quarter, but the Magic (led by Carter) finished the half on a 11-5 run to keep within striking distance.
- Hypothetical trade idea (conversation between Danny Ainge and Kevin...
- Boston Celtics Daily Links - news, rumors, and opinion
- Should Chris Wilcox Get Another Stint With The Celtics?
- Boston Celtics Daily Links 5/18
- Kevin Garnett will not have surgery on his ankle/foot
- Celtics may be looking to move up in NBA draft
- Stephen A. Smith back with more Doc Rivers rumors