|The other Kendrick Perkins||06.09.10 at 11:13 pm ET|
Kendrick Perkins thought the only other person who shared the same name was his son.
He was surprised to discover there was another Kendrick Perkins out there … and he had been drafted by the Red Sox.
“No they didn’t,” he said when told of the Red Sox pick. “They did for real?”
Earlier this week, the Red Sox selected the outfielder from La Porte High School (TX) in the sixth round of the 2010 First-Year Player Draft. La Porte is located just 75 miles from Beaumont, home of the Celtics big man.
But there are more differences that separate the two than the hour-plus drive. At 6’10, 280 pounds, the elder Perkins towers over the younger Perkins, who is listed at 6’2, 225 pounds. According to Baseball Beginnings, Perkins possesses above average speed and is an aggressive base runner, another contrast to the center.
“They got another Kendrick Perkins?” he asked. “I thought I was the only one. That’s cool though.”
- Boston Celtics Daily Links 5/23
- Mike Krzyzewski to return to coach Olympic Men's Basketball Team
- Charges against Terrence Williams delayed
- A look at Eric Gordon
- Rotoworld's Steve Alexander's mock: Celtics pick Mason Plumlee
- Boston Celtics Daily Links - 5/22
- Sporting News' Sean Deveney's mock: Celtics pick Tim Hardaway, Jr.