Will Gomes be on the market?
|06.27.10 at 11:41 pm ET|
Former Celtic Ryan Gomes was traded from the Timberwolves to the Trail Blazers on Draft Night. But the Trail Blazers may release Gomes for financial reasons, according to the Oregonian, which would add him to the free agent market:
Team president Larry Miller said the Blazers will probably release newly acquired forward Ryan Gomes in order to avoid taking on the remaining three seasons of his contract.
The team has until Tuesday to make a decision, but Miller said he has already told Gomes’ agent not to fly him to Portland.
Gomes was drafted by the Celtics in 2005 and has remained a fan favorite in Boston since being sent to Minnesota as part of the Kevin Garnett deal. He has expanded his game to the perimeter since his departure, and shot 37 percent from 3-point range over the past two seasons.
Even though Gomes does not fill the Celtics resounding void down low, he could be a player to watch depending on how free agency shakes out. While there have been no reports that he is on the C’s radar, he is a quality player worth a look should he be added to the free agent market.
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Why Celtics Will Be Better Than Expected in 2014-15
- Should Celtics Fans Buy or Sell Rondo's Hot Start?
- Lessons Learned from Celtics so Far
- Why Green Will Finally Succeed in Boston
- C's Big Offense Showing a Sign of Things to Come?
- Green's Transition to PF Could Reshape NBA Career Arc
- Could Rondo's Play Increase the Chances He's Dealt?