Will Gomes be on the market?
|06.27.10 at 11:41 pm ET|
Former Celtic Ryan Gomes was traded from the Timberwolves to the Trail Blazers on Draft Night. But the Trail Blazers may release Gomes for financial reasons, according to the Oregonian, which would add him to the free agent market:
Team president Larry Miller said the Blazers will probably release newly acquired forward Ryan Gomes in order to avoid taking on the remaining three seasons of his contract.
The team has until Tuesday to make a decision, but Miller said he has already told Gomes’ agent not to fly him to Portland.
Gomes was drafted by the Celtics in 2005 and has remained a fan favorite in Boston since being sent to Minnesota as part of the Kevin Garnett deal. He has expanded his game to the perimeter since his departure, and shot 37 percent from 3-point range over the past two seasons.
Even though Gomes does not fill the Celtics resounding void down low, he could be a player to watch depending on how free agency shakes out. While there have been no reports that he is on the C’s radar, he is a quality player worth a look should he be added to the free agent market.
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Isaiah Thomas to Play vs. Wizards After Missing 2 Games with Knee Injury
- Ray Allen Not Invited to Rajon Rondo's NBA Title Celebration After...
- Isaiah Thomas Will Miss Next 2 Games for Celtics with Knee Injury
- Al Horford, Avery Bradley Out vs. Suns with Elbow, Hamstring Injuries
- Avery Bradley Returns from Achilles Injury for Celtics vs. Hawks
- Isaiah Thomas Criticizes DeMarre Carroll for Flagrant Foul in Celtics vs...