T. Allen agrees to sign with Grizzlies
|07.11.10 at 4:33 pm ET|
WEEI.com has confirmed with a source that Tony Allen has agreed to a multi-year deal with the Grizzlies. The Memphis Commercial Appeal first reported the agreement.
Allen, an unrestricted free agent, has spent his entire career with the Celtics since being drafted in 2004. He excelled this postseason as a defensive stopper and played a critical role in containing Kobe Bryant, LeBron James, and Dwyane Wade.
Allen told WEEI.com during the playoffs that he would like to return to the Celtics next season … and beyond.
“I am a Celtic,” he said. “I love being a Celtic. It’d mean everything in the world [return next season].”
He added, “I mean, things happen but I feel like I’m going to be a Celtic for life.”
Should Allen sign elsewhere, his departure would leave a huge gap in the Celtics second unit as the organization looks to rebuild its bench this summer.
- An emotional week ahead for the Celtics
- State of the Celtics
- Brad Stevens keeping everyone on an even keel
- It's a laugher: Celtics trounce Knicks 114 - 73
- Boston Celtics Daily Links 12/8
- Celtics visit Knicks looking for 3rd straight win
- State of the Celtics: Can Jeff Green be a top two player on a contending...